Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I'm thinking about picking up one of the new Nano's strictly for running/working out. I don't want to use my phone on the chance that I drop it/smash it with a weight. I have a 4th gen iPod Touch that I've been using for working out/running, but it's become extremely laggy (esp. when compared to my iPhone).

All I need the Nano for is music/podcasts, so other added apps and features don't matter to me. Now for the Nike+ app...

How does it track your runs and progress without a GPS signal? I'm familiar with using similar phone apps, such as Endomondo, when running which give a nice tracking of where I'm running, how fast, average mile, etc.

Is the Nike+ app accurate on the new Nano in terms tracking your runs, mile times, calorie burns, etc?

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
The Nano uses a built in pedometer to measure distance. Everything else, pace, calories and such are all determined from that data and time on run.

I use the 6th gen and found it to be pretty accurate. The best placement for accuracy (on the 6th gen anyway) is on the hip. I am not sure about the 7th gen Nano.

It's best to run a known distance and a steady pace, then at the end of the run you will have the option to calibrate and set the actual distance. Do this as often as you like to "train" your Nano. I did mine maybe a half dozen times on various runs. Each calibration helps the overall accuracy. (Note that if no calibration option appears it means your pace was not steady enough.)

The app uses the run times with your distance to generate your pace per mile. As far as calorie counts, well I can't say how accurate it may or may not be. I assume it uses your height/weight data, pace, distance & time in a basic formula to generate that amount. I've never questioned if it is too high or low.

I used the shoe sensor with the iPod touch for a year and now the 6th gen Nano for a year. During my transition from one to the other distances matched up nicely.

Hope that helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.