Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I'll be spending three months in Europe and I want to message my friends back here in the US using WhatsApp. Is it better for me to activate WhatsApp while I'm here in the US before I head to Europe and connect it to my US number? Or should I wait til I get to Europe to activate and connect it with my European number? I heard you can only activate it once per phone so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I have mine activated to my number in Japan but it works anywhere I go, even on wifi when I have the cell off. But it is an interesting question, if you change sims, will it still work if you activate it to your USA number? I honestly have no idea.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
I'll be spending three months in Europe and I want to message my friends back here in the US using WhatsApp. Is it better for me to activate WhatsApp while I'm here in the US before I head to Europe and connect it to my US number? Or should I wait til I get to Europe to activate and connect it with my European number? I heard you can only activate it once per phone so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks!

Can I verify one WhatsApp account to multiple phones, or with multiple phone numbers?

Many of you may have different phones or different numbers, and may want to use WhatsApp with one number, but on two phones or vice versa. However, at this time, WhatsApp can only be verified with one number, on one device.

If you attempt to frequently switch your WhatsApp account between different devices, at a certain point, you may be blocked from re-verifying WhatsApp. So, please do not repeatedly switch between different devices.

dendritic cells

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Boston MA
I used whatsapp on a single device (blackberry) in 3 different countries/continents (US, Netherlands, Indonesia) each using a local number and somehow it worked perfectly (all my whatsapp contacts and groups remained intact).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.