Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1
senseless
macrumors 65816

You Tube ad revenue?

There's an option to enable ads in your You Tube vids. Have you had success with this and how many views would you have to get for it to mean anything?
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
There's an option to enable ads in your You Tube vids. Have you had success with this and how many views would you have to get for it to mean anything?
From what I hear its about $1,500 per million views but that varies greatly depending on content and # of subscribers.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

I seriously haven't made much, it really hardly pays for the Tape I used to film the video that I made money off of
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Ifti
macrumors 65816

I actually make a decent amount. I get approx 3000-3500 views per day.
iPhone 6+ / TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:12 AM   #5
floh
macrumors 6502

I also heard that it is in the area of 1$ per 1000 views, but varies greatly.

Anyways, if you have a few thousand views a day, you could end up making some money off of it. If you only have a hundred views per day (like me), the 3 bucks each month in my opinion don't make up for the 5 second ad the viewers have to sit through to get to your content.

I think you really have to balance the money you make from it versus the annoyance of your viewership. I never turned on any ads, since when I send friends a link, I don't want them to watch an ad first. I'd rather have them pay me the 0.1 cents directly.

Just some thoughts...
floh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
senseless
macrumors 65816

Yes, agreed on Thou shalt not annoy your viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floh View Post
I also heard that it is in the area of 1$ per 1000 views, but varies greatly.

Anyways, if you have a few thousand views a day, you could end up making some money off of it. If you only have a hundred views per day (like me), the 3 bucks each month in my opinion don't make up for the 5 second ad the viewers have to sit through to get to your content.

I think you really have to balance the money you make from it versus the annoyance of your viewership. I never turned on any ads, since when I send friends a link, I don't want them to watch an ad first. I'd rather have them pay me the 0.1 cents directly.

Just some thoughts...
senseless is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Macrovertigo
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Macrovertigo
ad agreements really just function to provide free content to google.

----------

be sure that you have created (and own Copyright or possess all of the necessary Reproduction Rights to) all of the content including art, music, interviews, etc., in your video if you choose to monetize it, or it gets messy.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by floh View Post
the 3 bucks each month in my opinion don't make up for the 5 second ad the viewers have to sit through to get to your content.
I haven't got a lot of viewers, and I haven't actually uploaded a video in a year (This month last year was the last time I uploaded), but I have got some AdSense thing going, and I've made something like £5, haven't taken it yet because I haven't sorted out my Debit card for AdSense, and it's not that worth it.

Anyway, I personally went and turned off the video ads for all my videos to avoid wasting people's time. The pop up ads are fine, the video ads are intrusive. Even though not many people are watching, not gonna waste their time watching some dumb ad...don't want them to turn off before actually watching the video.
Old May 4, 2013, 03:50 PM   #9
mikeschmeee
macrumors 6502a

I've been stuck at $12.40 for over a month now. It's really tough especially with what I do since most people just want to watch cute cat videos instead of awesome racing events and/or car shows/meets.

You can see my videos at youtube.com/mikeschmeeedotcom
Portfolio
mikeschmeee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

If you are looking to get rich, prolly won't happen unless you are getting thousands and thousands of views a day and have thousands of subscribers.

13" MBP 2012 2.5 i5; iPhone 5 16gb (Sprint)
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Artofilm
macrumors 6502a

Honestly, it's a lot of work and depending on your subject matter it can cost more than you make back from AdSense. You also need to become a YouTube partner before you start making any money from them.

It also depends on the popularity of the video and the time of the year. During Christmas was the best of the year more me and AdSense revenue, now it's just depressing making nearly 33% of what I made from AdSense during Christmas.

Here's my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ModernIntel
About 11,000 subscribers and 2,797,500 views after 3 and a half years. Takes tonnes of work!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video