Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
What if you want to watch a movie that was just released to video ? Does Max say pfft :D. Netflix is great for older content but not good for newer content (especially movies). I love Netflix but would rather have them spending their money on content instead of Max.

Ehh, instead I think Netflix should be working on getting licenses for more movies and TV shows.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? I highly doubt Netlfix works on only one thing at a time, and their programmers are not responsible for getting content licenses. There are some legitimate criticisms of the service in this thread. These are not those legitimate criticisms.

Exactly. This is skeuomorphism at its worst.
Does anyone actually like having fake "conversations" with these "virtual assistants"? For movies and TV shows, using websites like Jinni sounds way more effective without all the annoying interface.

I don't think you know what skeuomorphism means.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is that you, Clippy?

Really, the best comment here.

----------

I don't think you know what skeuomorphism means.

Clearly. I think this is about to be one of the most overused words in tech. It'll be like "robust." :D

I'm not interested in this feature. I don't think I need help finding content on Netflix. I need help sifting through some terrible watch instantly crap.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Is it really necessary for the thing to talk? Let alone having it talk like THAT in being so goofy and conversational. I mean, it's just sort of like a childish game version of iTunes genius. That being said I would likely try this if it comes out for iOS as I often don't know what to choose when browsing Netflix.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I love the idea of suggestions based on mood. That's something I wish Pandora (and all the Pandora-esque alternatives) offered. That's especially useful in my house, where we watch some kiddie shows for my 2-year old but don't really want those to form all the Netflix suggestions for us later.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
This was painful to watch. Besides Netflix already gives you recommendations in a more elegant way.

What's the point?

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
LOL! Netflix thinks your gay hahaha!

thatsthejoke.jpg

----------

Exactly. This is skeuomorphism at its worst.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

tokyopunk

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
What if you want to watch a movie that was just released to video ? Does Max say pfft :D. Netflix is great for older content but not good for newer content (especially movies). I love Netflix but would rather have them spending their money on content instead of Max.

no logic in the first part of your comment. If you know what you want to watch, then select what you want to watch instead of using Max. You do understand its a recommendation engine for those that need a little help with their selection.
I do agree their content sucks in SUPER ways.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I must be in the Netflix target audience, because I can almost always find something I'd like to watch. Some shows I like (Castle) simply aren't available for streaming, but I can get the DVDs for those as I need. I do get there would be a lot of people who aren't into the things I like, and may find Netflix wanting for content, but honestly, just don't subscribe to Netflix in that case. I'm sure they'd love to have everything available for everyone, but corporate greed on the part of the networks is probably the biggest issue in that regard.

In so far as Max is concerned, I'll probably try it pretty soon (we watch Netflix thorough a PS3 onto our big screen TV downstairs). It looks fun for those days when you want to watch something new on Netflix, but you just don't know what to try.

cioapps

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
East Coast
I can actually see this working. Even if its a simple "tag"ged system and not crazy algorithms it could work. Example is something like the movie Jaws, I can see 50 tags that would help me find it..

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Since 2012!?!

I've had Max on my PS3's Netflix since early 2012.

I've tried using a couple times, but really I find it quicker and easier to just browse the categories I'm in the mood for.

Max will give you a choose this or that and go from there based on your previous watching. It's okay, but your forced to choose from what you're presented with.

So if Max suggests Action or Drama and you're in the mood for a comedy; you're out of luck unless you start over and he gives you that option.

I haven't used Max in a few months, so they may have changed this. I doubt it, though. It's probably the same.

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Netflix today announced the release of Max, a personal content assistant and guide that the company calls the "child of Siri and HAL 9000." Max is designed to help users choose movies and television shows to view, and he does so using personal tastes.

Max asks a user questions about mood and movie viewing preferences in order to come up with a suggestion. He also uses Netflix's algorithms to predict content that a particular user might enjoy and plays a number of "games" to make selections.

YouTube: video
While Max is currently only available as a beta for PlayStation 3 users, Netflix says that if the experiment turns out to be successful, Max will be available on other devices in the future, "likely the iPad next."

Article Link: Netflix Debuts New Conversational Content Guide 'Max' for PS3, Coming to iPad Next
netflix content it's a joke pure crap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.