Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Hi all,

I have just discovered that somehow (not exactly sure how) I have created a slight scratch/nick on my rMBP screen.

Is it possible to get Apple to fix this without replacing the screen, and an estimated price?

Thanks

nickbarbs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
Hi all,

I have just discovered that somehow (not exactly sure how) I have created a slight scratch/nick on my rMBP screen.

Is it possible to get Apple to fix this without replacing the screen, and an estimated price?

Thanks

Are you OCD? or within your rights?

only you can answer that question.

I also had a nick in my screen which is why i'm answering this quest.

I had LG with IR but the nick had me wondering; is it really that bad? could it be considered 1 dead pix?

Or is it worth just booking an appointment and seeing if apple will make a difference for you? that's the question.

if it bothers you too much book a genius apt.

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
It's just a bit distracting.

I would fix it if I could, but I'm not paying for a screen replacement. Thats why I'm asking is it possible to fix a little scratch without replacement and price etc.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
No it's not. Scratches in glass can be buffed out. But the amount of force and and level of aggressive product needed will just do more damage in the end.

Are you sure it's a scratch? Can you catch it in your finger nail?

TheRichboy247

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
No it's not. Scratches in glass can be buffed out. But the amount of force and and level of aggressive product needed will just do more damage in the end.

Are you sure it's a scratch? Can you catch it in your finger nail?

The problem is, the glass is the display so buffing it would destroy the retina display.

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Yes I can catch it with my fingernail. I know it is a scratch.

I just need to know how to fix this.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
You can't fix the scratch. You will probably make it worse if you try to do anything.
Either buy a new display, or accept it's scratched and move on.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
NO THEY CAN'T FIX THIS. How many times do you have to be told? It's a replacement screen. Wether it's free or chargeable is down to the discretion if a genius.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
This topic sounds like the other topic of people having a grain near the size of sand that turned out to be a tiny hole in their screen that just appeared out of no where like as if the glass is just going out on its own.

TaylorWright619

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2012
Ok well thanks for confirming.

It's just confusing when someone says it can then others say it can't.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I'd check to see if it was caused by the edge between the palmrest and the trackpad, or the metal edge around the keyboard (where the recessed part ends).

I've seen several reports of people having experienced chipping because the metal seems to make contact in some places.

Indeed also in this topic like intz2nu was saying. But I've seen more reports like it, the reason I'm following this is that I'm a bit weary of buying an rMBP now. Because I'll be travelling with it a lot and I can't always avoid putting some pressure on the screen.

But anyway if you find that it can be related to a metal edge or something maybe they will agree it's a manufacturing defect.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Hi all,

Thanks

Hey how did this happen? I would invest in a Radtech cloth to place over your keyboard when you close the lid to avoid these kinds of things.

I seriously did not know the RMBP screen's were this fragile and easily scratch-able!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.