Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TeoAnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I have a 2009 iMac and I am about to replace the hard drive (Apple recall). I have a lot of programs and utilities installed including original windows 7, office 2010 etc. I am currently using OSX 10.8.2 and I have already performed a full Back Up. I would be interested in finding out if I have to re-install everything in the new hard drive or will this be done through the Restore procedure from my back up? I know that I can restore files, I'm just not sure what happens with the software!

I would appreciate some help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Here's a simple approach:
  1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
  2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
  3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
  4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
  5. Boot from the new internal drive.
  6. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I recently installed a new drive in my 2012 MBP and installed a fresh copy of Mt Lion. Then I moved my settings over from a TimeCapsule backup. My thinking was that I would avoid transferring the detritus that builds up on the drive by doing a fresh install and moving the setting over vs. the CCC route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.