Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I've been trying to find a Mac CD for Doom 3 RoE, but everywhere I've looked there isn't one. Is the CD universal for Mac and PC?

I borrowed an RoE PC CD from a friend trying to see if it would work before I bought it, and I'm wondering if I just need to copy some files to a certain location for it to work; like a mod.

I need more DooM to play. :) Thanks for any help.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
RoE is just a mod, I have Doom 3 and RoE on Steam, once you get into either game you can select from a list of mods and it has RoE on that menu. I'm not entirely sure but it should work by just copying the files over.

RoE is pretty good too :)

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Thanks! I really appreciate the quick response.

Now what all files should I copy, and where should I put them? Sorry, but the only mod I've ever used was the flashlight mod for the pistol. =\

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Looking in my Steam folder now and I just have a load of Pak files.

Try viewing the files of Doom 3 on the Mac side and copy the RoE files right into there. Since RoE is just a new set of textures, maps and enemies it should all be contained in the Base folder (where the Pak files are).
I don't think there should be any other files to edit. IIRC Doom 3 just finds the mods automatically so long as the Pak files are in the right place.

Attachments

• fiels.PNG
    fiels.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 484

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
D3:RoE was the expansion pack released for Doom3. It was never ported to the Mac so there is probably nothing that could be done to get it to work.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If Doom 3 on the Mac supports mods then theres nothing stopping RoE from working since it's just the same old Pak files.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I've seen much discussion of Doom 3 over at InsideMacGames, and many calls for RoE to ported... and NEVER seen any mention of anyone successfully getting the PC version to work on Mac.

Maybe it can be done, but I doubt it. Buy at your own risk.

If you want more Doom action, I can vouch that the free co-op-focused Last Man Standing mod (which comes with a wide range of maps, some being short single-player campaigns) does work on Mac:
http://lms.d3files.com/

(And it works with RoE... if only we had that.)

xerxes-750

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
i made it work

I just bought the game, put the disk in the mac, open it,go to setup/data/D3XP. the pak files are in there. worked just fine for me!

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Last I heard, Aspyr had specifically asked that RoE be made to not work with the Mac version, so they could presumably sell a Mac version of RoE themselves. Of course, this ended up not happening. So I don't think you're going to get it to work, but don't let that stop you from trying. :)

--Eric

JimbobB

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
sorry, I spoke to hastily, only multiplayer works.

and im still messing around with it, there may still be a way from campaign to work.

Yeah, I tried installing the RoE expansion pack on my G5 iMac and it was recognised but as soon as you tried to start a game it would crash reading the pak files.

I gave up on trying to get it to work in the end.

sadmegatron2300

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Done.

D3:RoE was the expansion pack released for Doom3. It was never ported to the Mac so there is probably nothing that could be done to get it to work.

I have ported doom 3 RoE on mac. Legit. it runs on a wineskin wrapper and works fine, even on lion.:apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.