Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Is this a good buy? MacBook retina 13.3'' 128 HD version (seeing there's only this version and the 256 HD). Open box item, immaculate condition. This is my first time buying a MacBook, any advice welcome. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
How much RAM does it have and where can you get it? Used (no link required) or via retail channels?

PS: HD, or HDD, is short for "Hard Disk Drive" and stands for mechanical platter based storage devices in form of those 2.5" and 3.5" disk drives in most computers.
SSD is short for "Solid State Drive" and stands for those flash based storage devices, that also come in form of 2.5" drives (and smaller ones of course).

The MacBook Pro with Retina Display uses flash based storage, thus using "HD" is a bit inconsiderate to its feelings, since it shed its ties with such old, creepy farts some time ago. Or it could be just my lack of words.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
I'm purchasing at best buy. And ram I believe is 8gig ddr3? And HD I meant was hard drive which I thought was 128gig?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm purchasing at best buy. And ram I believe is 8gig ddr3? And HD I meant was hard drive which I thought was 128gig?

If it is 8 GB, then that is quite a good deal, if you can live with 128 GB of storage capacity.

And while "HD" means "hard drive", technically flash based storage is not a hard drive anymore, but I guess, that term "hard drive" is associated with the storage device, that it will be used for quite some time.
Nothing bad, I am just a bit anal sometimes with those matters. Or OCD, or any other kind of self-deragatory illness you can think of.

GoSooners

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
That's a spectacular deal!! I thought I got a good deal yesterday when I purchased the same spec'd laptop from BB for $1254.59 (excluding taxes). I'm hoping that due to the deep discount, I could resell this laptop and not lose too much when the next generation comes out with a better processor. I really need at least 256GB but this deal, IMO, was too good to pass up.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I added the drop warranty as well, total came out to around $1450. I suppose that was a good deal at the time, glad to hear it actually is. And btw I did have a similar price tag on mine. I just bargained my way to $1200 without a problem, sometimes asking is the key. Although you do have to speak to a manager for a bargain.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I added the drop warranty as well, total came out to around $1450. I suppose that was a good deal at the time, glad to hear it actually is. And btw I did have a similar price tag on mine. I just bargained my way to $1200 without a problem, sometimes asking is the key. Although you do have to speak to a manager for a bargain.

That price was with the extra 10% sale going on right now - correct?

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Yep. Just for this past weekend. Sale price before 10% off was $1407 which is what I would have had to pay or even $1350 if it wasn't this "special" weekend where they were doing the one time 10% off. So congrats to us! Yay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.