Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
deja-vu
macrumors newbie

Can I get Lion on my MBP again?

I have a 2010 MBP that i just wiped the harddrive on. It used to have Lion, even though it was shipped with Snow Leopard - as i remember there was a free upgrade to Lion.

When i reinstall from the DVD it installs Snow Leopard and i have no idea how to get Lion on it again. I tried to option click the "purchase" tab in app store but it does not show Lion.

Anyone knows what to do?

Thanks.
deja-vu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

What about buying OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion? And to get Mac OS X 10.7 Lion again, you have to contact Apple and show them your valid purchase of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and they will send you an App Store link, if you want to use Mac OS X 10.7 Lion instead of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or the last proper Mac OS X version.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:58 AM   #3
deja-vu
macrumors newbie

I guess i could buy mountain lion, i am just a bit concerned that my semi old MBP Mid2010 (i think) will get slow if i install Mountain Lion on it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Have you tried option clicking the Purchases tab versus normal clicking it?
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 PM   #5
entropi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-vu View Post
I guess i could buy mountain lion, i am just a bit concerned that my semi old MBP Mid2010 (i think) will get slow if i install Mountain Lion on it.
nah, fear not - my MBP 17" from early 2009 didn't get slow with ML. I don't think the latest OS X iterations has been any much slower, this is much more a problem with iOS...
entropi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:18 PM   #6
deja-vu
macrumors newbie

I have tried the option clicky thing, but as i remember i did not get it from the app store but from a software update - as i remember all MBP bought in a certain time period got it for free.

Good to hear that ML does not slow down the computer though if it ends up with me having to purchase that. I would prefer to just get Lion back on it though.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
I have tried the option clicky thing, but as i remember i did not get it from the app store but from a software update - as i remember all MBP bought in a certain time period got it for free.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was an UPGRADE, you could only get it via the Mac App Store (MAS) or a 69 USD USB flash memory thumb drive from the Apple Online Store.
If you bought your Mac within a free upgrade period, you would have had to contact Apple and prove the date of your purchase and they would have get you a code to use with the MAS.

Quote:
Good to hear that ML does not slow down the computer though if it ends up with me having to purchase that. I would prefer to just get Lion back on it though.
Again, try this thread for more clarification and a number.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:30 PM   #8
deja-vu
macrumors newbie

Just did a search in my emails and i actually found a receipt from itunes store that i bought OS X Lion, v10.7.2, Developer: iTunes S.a.r.l. (4+).

So should it not appear in app store when i do the option click?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:14 PM   #9
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Just did a search in my emails and i actually found a receipt from itunes store that i bought OS X Lion, v10.7.2, Developer: iTunes S.a.r.l. (4+).

So should it not appear in app store when i do the option click?
It should, I think. Contact Apple and see what they say.
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:15 AM   #10
deja-vu
macrumors newbie

Contacted them and got the answer. Here is the link if anyone else gets this problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X