Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whittallthis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Campbell, CA
So thanks to some extra overtime and my sister needing a new computer. I am giving her my MBA 2010. So I am now in the market for a new daily computer.

Any advice, new MDP 13' or 15' with 256 SSD or stick with another MBA fully loaded? I am up in arms about the dual vs. quad. I don't really use the optic drive, but I do have the USB superdrive.

Price isn't a huge issue, but I just want something that will be as close to bulletproof in the long run.

Thoughts would great appreciated.

:apple:

Free Ale

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
So thanks to some extra overtime and my sister needing a new computer. I am giving her my MBA 2010. So I am now in the market for a new daily computer.

Any advice, new MDP 13' or 15' with 256 SSD or stick with another MBA fully loaded? I am up in arms about the dual vs. quad. I don't really use the optic drive, but I do have the USB superdrive.

Price isn't a huge issue, but I just want something that will be as close to bulletproof in the long run.

Thoughts would great appreciated.

:apple:

A more appropriate computer could be assigned with the help of you telling us what you would use it for.

wahvtec

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
ATL
man, personally i am waiting for the 15" MBP to be updated with ivy bridge, i like that the 15 has discreet graphics (where as the 13.3 doesn't) and the 15 can be ordered with a higher def screen & antiglare. with the quad core ivy bridge, discreet graphics, and option of anti glare it seems like its worth the extra money. i tested the 2011 15" MBP and everything from opening up a bunch of applications to skyping the 15" seemed to be so snappy and fast compared to the 13.3

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I have a MBP 13" late 2011 with a 240GB intel 520 SSD and I love it. I would highly recommend getting the 13" and either have apple install the SSD or do it yourself, you can probably getting a nicer SSD if you do it yourself and its probably cheaper. Since you don't need a quad core there is no point to pay the premium. I have the dual core i7 and its more than enough, it handles everything I throw at it and then some. I also recommend putting in 8GB of RAM, that in combination with the SSD just makes an amazing machine. It is so fast and I never get a beach ball. My SSD loads everything almost instantly its awesome, photoshop opens in less than a snap of the fingers, plus it wakes from sleep in the blink of an eye. I love my 13" MBP its the perfect size and has plenty of power, I hardly use my MBA anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.