Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Bez59
macrumors regular

What are these files?

I have been ripping all my DVD's to my MacBook but when I move them to my NAS it also adds some extra files that can't be seen in finder on the mac so I can't remove them as they only show up on my blu ray player and my Xbox.

Anybody know what they are, how I can stop them from being added and how to remove the ones that are already there?

It's the first files in the folder that start with ._

This is how they appear on my blu ray player.

Thumb resize.

And on my MacBook.

Thumb resize.

Any help would be great thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:28 PM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Starting a file name with a single dot hide the file in finder and also standard unix shells (like .ssh or similar in your home directory).
You could tell the Finder to show you the hidden files if you want to see them there too.
What's in the files? Not 100% sure but I assume those are working files to store temporary information (e.g. Last time position to resume after restart etc). I assume those hidden files are much smaller compared to their associated visible lies. Wouldn't worry.
XBox and BR player wouldn't be aware or ignore the hiding effect of a single dot that's why you see them
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:40 PM   #3
apedance
macrumors member

if you don't want OSX to store those files on external storage you can use this command via terminal

Code:
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
you can easily undo this by replacing "true" with "false"

or

if your NAS is based on samba you can add this...

Code:
veto files = /.DS_Store/
to your smb-configfile -> /etc/smb.conf
apedance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Bez59
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Starting a file name with a single dot hide the file in finder and also standard unix shells (like .ssh or similar in your home directory).
You could tell the Finder to show you the hidden files if you want to see them there too.
What's in the files? Not 100% sure but I assume those are working files to store temporary information (e.g. Last time position to resume after restart etc). I assume those hidden files are much smaller compared to their associated visible lies. Wouldn't worry.
XBox and BR player wouldn't be aware or ignore the hiding effect of a single dot that's why you see them
Hi thanks for the reply.

How do i tell finder to show them?

Not sure what's in the files or what they do as they only show up on the BR player and xbox.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bez59 View Post
Hi thanks for the reply.

How do i tell finder to show them?

Not sure what's in the files or what they do as they only show up on the BR player and xbox.
Here the way I did in the past
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Bez59
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Here the way I did in the past
It made some files beginning with . show up but not the ones i was talking about typical.

Thanks anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Bez59
macrumors regular

Just to update for anyone else who might have the same problem.

If you follow the steps in this link it allows you to view the files and remove them.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...90821015454108

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X