Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Third Industrial Revolution

Wow.
This stuff is going to go down in history books in under a century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thi...ial_Revolution
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Wow.
This stuff is going to go down in history books in under a century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thi...ial_Revolution
What stuff?

I am of the opinion that we can't classify revolutions. That is what future generations do when looking at the past as they have larger context
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:02 PM   #3
eawmp1
macrumors 601

This is futurism. Hasn't happened yet.

Talk to me in 100 years so we can judge if this is a revolutionary, transformative time.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post

Talk to me in 100 years so we can judge if this is a revolutionary, transformative time.
They said the same about power lines.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Wait. So according the this theorist, nothing revolutionary occurred between 1910 and 2010?

Sounds like a pretty dim theory.
miloblithe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post

It's close enough and within out technical capabilities, I would not label it "futurism" although I agree it is not done yet. The idea of solar panels all over the place taking over the role of a power plant is not far fetched at all. I've seen articles in Popular Science for downtown high rise farms. It's not a matter of figuring it out so much as it is to just build one, although it's financial viability can always be questioned.

Pulled from OP original link:
Quote:
1.Shifting to Renewable Energy
2. Buildings as Power Plants
3. Deploying Hydrogen and other storage technologies in every building and throughout the infrastructure to store intermittent energies.
4. Using Internet technology to transform the power grid of every continent
5. Transitioning the transport fleet to electric, plug in and fuel cell vehicles that can buy and sell electricity on a smart continental interactive power grid.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

The next industrial revolution will begin when the oil runs out, not before.
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 09:40 AM   #8
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
It's close enough and within out technical capabilities, I would not label it "futurism" although I agree it is not done yet. ...
Well, "futurism" is a bit of a misnomer.

The link in the OP is to a page at Wikipedia about the book, The Third Industrial Revolution: How Lateral Power is Transforming Energy, written by Jeremy Rifkin.

This book isn't "a book about futurism". It's "a book written by a futurist".

Futurism was an artistic and social movement that originated in Italy in the early 20th century that emphasized and glorified themes associated with contemporary concepts of the future that influenced art movements such as Art Deco, Surrealism, etc.

Futurist commonly refers to authors, consultants, organizational leaders and others who engage in interdisciplinary and systems thinking to advise private and public organizations on such matters as diverse global trends, plausible scenarios, emerging market opportunities and risk management. A futurist, basically, is someone who attempts to systematically predict the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andeavor View Post
The next industrial revolution will begin when the oil runs out, not before.
We'll never run out of oil. There will always be some oil left (in the ground) but it will be far too expensive to even consider recovering.

Oil (like all fossil fuels) is a finite resource. As the supply of oil diminishes, its price will continue to go up. Eventually, the cost of using oil will exceed the cost of renewable energy sources.

Unfortunately, oil isn't just "a fuel". It's used to make things (plastic, etc.). maintain things (lubricants, etc.), and so on...
Old May 2, 2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Well, "futurism" is a bit of a misnomer.

The link in the OP is to a page at Wikipedia about the book, The Third Industrial Revolution: How Lateral Power is Transforming Energy, written by Jeremy Rifkin.

This book isn't "a book about futurism". It's "a book written by a futurist".

Futurism was an artistic and social movement that originated in Italy in the early 20th century that emphasized and glorified themes associated with contemporary concepts of the future that influenced art movements such as Art Deco, Surrealism, etc.

Futurist commonly refers to authors, consultants, organizational leaders and others who engage in interdisciplinary and systems thinking to advise private and public organizations on such matters as diverse global trends, plausible scenarios, emerging market opportunities and risk management. A futurist, basically, is someone who attempts to systematically predict the future.
I did not know the definition of "futurism" but I responded based on my impression of the context eawmp1 used, which was labeling the details of this subject as science fiction, something we are not technically capable of.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:33 AM   #10
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I did not know the definition of "futurism" but I responded based on my impression of the context eawmp1 used, which was labeling the details of this subject as science fiction, something we are not technically capable of.
I was aware you and eawmp1 were using the term futurism is a vernacular sense, but I felt compelled to point out that doing so is wrong.

Never-the-less, the book (that's the subject of the OP) is "about the future", since the author's vision (of the future) it hasn't (completely) happened yet. Take for example its major points you pointed out earlier in this thread.

Quote:
1. Shifting to Renewable Energy
2. Buildings as Power Plants
3. Deploying Hydrogen and other storage technologies in every building and throughout the infrastructure to store intermittent energies.
4. Using Internet technology to transform the power grid of every continent
5. Transitioning the transport fleet to electric, plug in and fuel cell vehicles that can buy and sell electricity on a smart continental interactive power grid.
We're just beginning to scratch the surface of points Nos. 1 and 2. We haven't (#3) deployed storage technology in every building, (#4) used the Internet to transform the power grid of every continent. We're just beginning to (#5) transition a tiny percentage of our transport feet.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:40 AM   #11
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I was aware you and eawmp1 were using the term futurism is a vernacular sense, but I felt compelled to point out that doing so is wrong.

Never-the-less, the book (that's the subject of the OP) is "about the future", since the author's vision (of the future) it hasn't (completely) happened yet. Take for example its major points you pointed out earlier in this thread.

We're just beginning to scratch the surface of points Nos. 1 and 2. We haven't (#3) deployed storage technology in every building, (#4) used the Internet to transform the power grid of every continent. We're just beginning to (#5) transition a tiny percentage of our transport feet.
Futurism is not my term but denotes a category, which I believe is based on something not currently within our technical means. The move to these things are happening, but ultimately will be controlled by financial viability or neccesity. So my point was, I would not use the word "futurism" to describe it.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:27 PM   #12
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Futurism is not my term but denotes a category, which I believe is based on something not currently within our technical means. The move to these things are happening, but ultimately will be controlled by financial viability or neccesity. So my point was, I would not use the word "futurism" to describe it.
Two questions.

1. A "category" of what, exactly?

2. Other than yourself, is there any citable source that defines futurism as "a category ... based on something not currently within our technical means"?
Old May 2, 2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Two questions.

1. A "category" of what, exactly?

2. Other than yourself, is there any citable source that defines futurism as "a category ... based on something not currently within our technical means"?
Don't want to debate, nor trying to debate. As previously stated, I had my impressions of the limitations of futurism, which are most likely in error.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues