Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2013
I have an LG BE14 Blu-Ray burner. When I first turn it on, it works flawlessly. However, if the computer is left unattended or wakes from sleep, the drive isn't seen by the Mac, and the tray fails to open. Is there any way to make the drive stay powered on, or is this a problem with the particular drive?

I've found ways to keep external HDDs awake through energy saver or 3rd party applets, but none for an optical disc drive.

Using 10.8.3

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A couple of suggestions:

You might consider these to be work-arounds (instead of "solutions")…

- If the burner is plugged into a USB hub (instead of directly into the Mac), plug it into the Mac.

- Unplug the burner from the Mac, and then re-connect it. This should "refresh" the USB connection

- If it's a "long reach" to the back of the Mac to do the above, you might consider buying a "USB extension cable". These come in various lengths (3' is a good one). They have a standard USB male connector on one end, and a female connector on the other. Just plug the extender into the Mac, and plug the burner into the other end. If the burner "goes to sleep on you", just do a quick "unplug, replug" with the extender cable, and it should come alive again.

Again, not true "fixes" here, but work-arounds. I'm _guessing_ that the LG burner may use a controller chip that has "sleep troubles" with the Mac's USB...

akoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2013
Re:

Well, those are some good ideas. I guess the fact that I couldn't find something with Google means there is no true solution. Just an instance of OS X not playing well with others. Maybe some day Apple will finally admit that Blu-ray is more than a passing fad.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
It seems a lot of people are having trouble with this LG external drive. Here is a link from a few months ago on this forum site.
Here is some random person with issues with this drive.
Most of the reported issues have been with an LG drive, while others seemed fine on OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.