Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:23 AM   #576
Jotbolger
macrumors newbie

It's a bigger deal in the UK

I'm severely annoyed as I bought a 'new iPad' 64GB WiFi + 4G on launch day with the idea that it would run on 4G networks in the UK when they finally arrived. Turns out it never will which is why Apple had to change the name to WiFi + Cellular a couple of months later. NOW they release a new model that WILL run on a UK 4G network. Admittedly only EE's, but it will do what it says on the box which mine doesn't.
Jotbolger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:03 AM   #577
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInLVX View Post
And I don't know how many times I need to tell people that the problem is NOT that "It still does the same thing it did yesterday! It's not suddenly broken, is it? blah blah blah."

Of *course* it still works. I'm not a complete idiot, and there's no need to point these things out.

Now that that's out of the way... it depends on how you view "investment". If you mean that I think it's going to appreciate, then no, I don't think that. If you mean that my ROI = what I bought it thinking it would do (which I think is your intent) then you are right. It does what I thought it'd do when I bought it. It is no more or less than it was.

The thing that irks me is that when I say "investment" I count on the product having a certain longevity where the manufacturer is concerned. Apple has obliterated the product completely from its offerings. It doesn't exist anymore, and for a thousand dollar investment, or tool, or whatever you want to call it, that's unreasonable and frankly unacceptable.

No, they didn't say that they wouldn't support it, and yes, it will run software going forward for a reasonable time. The thing that gets me is that Apple hasn't traditionally done this, and that's part of the reason I invest in them. I like that I can count on things lasting at least a year.

AND as much as all you folks like to point out the obvious fact that Apple is a company and therefore in it to make money, I have not, before this, felt like they didn't care at all for the people making them all this money. It's happening with greater frequency. I've said it before. Airplay video mirroring doesn't work on machines less than 2 years old, flagship products get obsoleted and removed from stock 7 months after release, you can BET the iPad Mini will have an IZGO retina display in under a year.

I'm saying that Apple's biting the hand that feeds it. I'm going to think twice before investing again. Apple should know that. I cannot be the only (now ex) early adopter. They burned millions of faithful customers. I won't say I'm not upset, and I won't buy that I have no reason to be miffed, even if the iPad 3 DOES still work.

/off my soap box for good now.
Had I known this iPad was to be released, I'd have held off. And that's why I feel cheated. Apple is somewhat secretive and while there's no guarantees, I now won't trust Apple not to give me an obsolete product within a month or two or my purchase. That goes for phones.

In other words, I'm switching away from Apple with my next tablet and phone. My iPhone 5 gets terrible battery life and I never have a use for my iPad. Their products are old, and Apple doesn't release products they think can withstand for a while, indicative that they don't innovate anymore. In the past I wanted shorter life cycles, but the fact I was burned on my first top of the line iPad means I won't be getting a second iPad at all.

I'm just in shock that Jobs really made this much of a difference. I never liked the guy but thought he was a brilliant advertiser. After seeing Apple fumble the ball on the iPhone 4S, mostly designed I think while Jobs was seeking treatment and had better things to do, and Siri going in the direction it went in, Apple Maps, and iPad 3 being thicker (Steve would've simply not allowed that product to go to market had he had control of Apple I think in January 2011...)

Its amazing to think that he was that important to the company and the bureaucrats (who I thought "got it" and were Apple's real reasons for success) failed miserably.
clibinarius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:04 PM   #578
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstar View Post
I cannot play 1080p MKV video on ipad3. It't the only thing I found to date I cannot do. Perhaps a6 chip will do. Anyone thought this??
1, remux to mp4's or use a player that does remux in the background. (See my posts here at MR - I've posted tons of info on all this.)

2, not even the A6X can fully decode 1080p H.264 purely in software. It just doesn't have the necessary horsepower.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:25 PM   #579
PJ.
macrumors member

I do wonder if in years to come the 3rd gen iPad will be looked at as like Windows Vista as in took too much power to run and was sluggish.

PJ
PJ. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:39 PM   #580
Renzatic
macrumors 604

The iPad 3 is sluggish?
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:23 PM   #581
craig1410
macrumors 6502a

Damn, I wish someone had told me the iPad 3 I use professionally ever day was sluggish... Here was me with the cock-eyed notion it was great!

Vista...not so great!

I vote the iPad 3 critic above for funniest post of the month! Congrats!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion