Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twdi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
I'm have plans to buy a retina MBP next week.
For hobby that's fine, but professionally I need to run Visual Studio 2010 on it for software developement.

So I'm thinking of running a windows 7 VM with Vmware on it. But... would it be a problem to miss the specific windows keys like the function keys etc?

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
The Function keys on your keyboard behave just like F1 through F12 in Windows. The Command (or "Apple") key behaves like the Windows key.

Is that what you were asking?

twdi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
O thanks... I thought the mac keyboard did not had F-keys..
I'm still unknown to the Mac............

Thanks

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
O thanks... I thought the mac keyboard did not had F-keys..
...and you're going to buy one next week? Definitely read up online and check them out in person first. A quick Google search yields:
macbook-pro-retina-2.jpg

F keys are on the top row.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
In OS X the default is for the function keys to perform device specific tasks like volume, brightness, etc. you have to press the Fn key to access them as function keys. In windows they work fine as function keys.

Only problem I have is switching from cmd-c to ctrl-c for copy, paste, etc.

Quantum3

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
to pause a game is Fn+Esc. To content fill aware in Photoshop is Fn+Shift+F5, to open the brushes palette is Fn+F5... What else... To make the @ is right alt+2. Those shortcuts are the ones I found so far in Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.