Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ultra popular email management app Mailbox has received its first update since being acquired by Dropbox last month, adding several improvements to the user interface.

Mailbox's claim to fame is its simple design and intuitive gesture-based controls that turn emails into tasks. Today's update adds enhancements on both fronts, offering more specific adjustments for snooze times and the ability to swipe multiple items at one time.

mailbox.jpg
What's New in Version 1.2.0
-smarter snoozes (adjust based on time of day and week)
-faster swipes (swipe as many items at one time as you want)
-UI improvements (e.g. double-tap a name bubble to see email address)
-bug fixes (including swipe-to-open bug) and performance improvements
Mailbox is a free app for the iPhone that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mailbox Update Adds Better Snooze Controls and Improved Swiping

jbee

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2004
After all the hype Mailbox is hugely flawed. It's all too easy to swipe and forget what you intended to do. It just doesn't work well. Yet again I go back to the simplicity of Apple's own solution. Try again guys!

s!ke

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
One thing that I don't like about this is you have to choose ONE 'mailbox' to put a message in, rather than "labels" or "tags". Sometimes I want file one message under more than 1 label. :(

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I got my mailbox yesterday. Is it still only for gmail?

So far its a good idea, but id say you have to be committed to your "swipe right", or you'll find your email being deleted not "green ticked". Several of the swipes i did became deleted this way, and its all down to not putting in even a slight pause into the swipe, which is a bit difficult when you use your thumb to swipe left to right.

hulabaloo

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
how about adding CONTRAST?

I'd consider trying them again if they'd stop using grey-on-grey. But judging from the few screen shots I've seen lately, and the fact that their Web site is still low contrast, I'm not sure if function will EVER triumph over form in this case!

So sad.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
After all the hype Mailbox is hugely flawed. It's all too easy to swipe and forget what you intended to do. It just doesn't work well. Yet again I go back to the simplicity of Apple's own solution. Try again guys!

What? If you swipe accidentally for whatever reason you just shake to undo...

And if you don't like it you just do it the same way with Apple mail - click on it and use the action buttons at the top of the screen...

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
I hope this is just the first of many updates...... huge potential but IMO it is limited with gmail only

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
I still don't see myself using this app over the stock mail app. I've tried this app and I think it's way over rated.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
That second screenshot with the grid of 6 icons seems to be heavily inspired by android, which on tablets has a swipe down menu in the top right to control wifi Bluetooth etc...looks just like that.

Is mailbox an iOS only app? Wouldn't be surprised to see it on android soon if its not already there.

Still, I've not found anything wrong with the iOS mail app, works fine for me.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I wish for mainly two things to be added for this:

1. Support for Exchange mail-servers
2. Mac-client

If those existed, I'd get/buy it in a heartbeat.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Massive load of hype about an app that thinks it knows better than you how you should do things. Why do I want to change the way I've done things for years, just because some software engineer decided I need a new snazzy UI? Few people will have the patience to stick with it for long. I deleted it after trying to like it for a couple of days.

Same kind of thing as "Clear" - brilliant design that no one actually wants. I used it to make one shopping list on the day I downloaded it, and then never used it again.

aerowave

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Chippenham, England, UK
I updated this morning and found that the swiping is much better. It's a lot easier to get the 'delete' action now, whereas before I would accidentally 'archive' because I swiped too fast! (The previously-added 'undo' feature helped a lot, but the swiping improvement means I get it right first time now)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I still don't see myself using this app over the stock mail app. I've tried this app and I think it's way over rated.

I agree. It has a decent UI and guess the "inbox zero" idea appeals to some people, but other than that it doesn't seem to offer all that much beyond the stock mail app.

Why does MacRumors keep plugging this app? If its a paid promotion, it should be disclosed as such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.