Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
hey guys - any of you bought computers on your state's tax free weekend?
i live in NC nd i'm thinking of buying some apple swag in august.
i think the limit is 3500, but i was thinking about getting my wife an ipad or a MBP and i was considering purchasing a TBD as well...

if you go over 3500 do you just pay the diff?
are monitors except as well?
what about the peripherals (printers, time capsule etc)

any experience would be great :0

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The rules and times change from state to state but basically if you buy something in excess of the set amount, then you pay taxes on the entire purchase, not just the amount over the limit.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
The rules and times change from state to state but basically if you buy something in excess of the set amount, then you pay taxes on the entire purchase, not just the amount over the limit.

good to know. i could obviously break up the purchase, but the APP would no longer cover everything...which would be the only reason i would actually get the APP in the first place.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
good to know. i could obviously break up the purchase, but the APP would no longer cover everything...which would be the only reason i would actually get the APP in the first place.

If by APP you mean AppleCare... then actually, I think you can break up a purchase. Doublecheck, of course, but for instance I'm sure if you buy a Mac and then within a few days the Apple monitor to go with it then that is covered too. I'm sure the details will be on the AppleCare pages.... but you may have some flexibility here.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Every day is tax free (at least sales tax) :D.

not in NC it isn't.

----------

If by APP you mean AppleCare... then actually, I think you can break up a purchase. Doublecheck, of course, but for instance I'm sure if you buy a Mac and then within a few days the Apple monitor to go with it then that is covered too. I'm sure the details will be on the AppleCare pages.... but you may have some flexibility here.

that's not what the Apple chat people told me... you can purchase the plan up to a year after a device, but i don't know if you can do that with 1 plan/multiple devices.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
that's not what the Apple chat people told me... you can purchase the plan up to a year after a device, but i don't know if you can do that with 1 plan/multiple devices.

I've just checked the "terms and conditions" and you are right... though that may be a change from when I purchased my monitor. However, other things can be purchased earlier, and then covered. You might want to read the T&Cs on the Apple website since the sequence of the purchase might be important.

Good Luck...

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I've just checked the "terms and conditions" and you are right... though that may be a change from when I purchased my monitor. However, other things can be purchased earlier, and then covered. You might want to read the T&Cs on the Apple website since the sequence of the purchase might be important.

Good Luck...

thanks for looking into that for me - that was nice of you :)
i think you're right, got to read the fine print!

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Any tax free states near NC ? I think most of Massachusetts drives to New Hampshire for tax free shopping :D.

yeah...unfortunately not and believe me a i looked.

Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon

it would cost me more than $200 to get to any of those places - although all 4 are beautiful places to visit!

well..not so sure about Delaware, but i have a bunch of friends there so its nice to visit too.:cool:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007

Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon

it would cost me more than $200 to get to any of those places - although all 4 are beautiful places to visit!

well..not so sure about Delaware, but i have a bunch of friends there so its nice to visit too.:cool:

I don't know how it works in the US, but I have used this several times in Canada where most provinces have a sales tax (PST) that is not collected if the store ships the product out of the province. I have gone to a camera store, a small owner-operated place, and looked at the gear. Asked questions, etc etc. We talk about the fact that I am from out of province... do you know so-n-so? etc etc.

When it's time to pay I ask if they can ship it to me, because then the PST is non-chargeable. Not every time... but enough times to make it worth my while.... they will write "shipped to BC - no PST" on their copy of the invoice and hand me the gear. I've become the shipper, in essence.

Of course you run the risk that they won't do that, and then you have to decide if it's cheaper to pay for the shipping or pay the tax.

Good Luck.

On the other hand, Oregon is quite nice this time of year I understand. :)

ps.... you will of course then pay the tax you owe your home state ;)

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities

Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon

I think Georgia still does one around back to school time in August. Applied to computers, clothes, and other school related stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.