Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I like a new aircon....

Butt this can only end badly producing more interference,...

Sure we have the 5GHz range, but that wouldn't mean nothing, but Apple's new devices can connect to it...

Unless that thats the idea.

Most adapters (particually older ones), and other wireless gear, will not, and never will be AC-compatible. It have to be on the 2.4 Ghz range at a minimum. And even this is getting to be crowded..

what will happen when it "comes to the crunch" ?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
could someone put those speeds in laymen terms? Would an average user notice any difference when surfing the web?

I'll put myself up as the Debbie Downer of this thread - it won't mean a hill of beans because at 5Ghz the ability to penetrate walls etc. is extreme limited at the best of times and add more complexity thus you're only going to obtain in most case scenarios slightly better wireless LAN throughput. As for web surfing etc. you won't any difference as the bottleneck isn't your wireless network but the internet connection itself.

IMHO I'd sooner see a focus on maybe pushing wireless networking down to lower frequencies so that more distance and better penetration of walls can be achieved rather than this fixation on faster based on the idea that fast always equals better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.