Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
So, Hurricane Sandy resulted in my power lines (pole to the house) being knocked down, this caused an electrical surge that fried most of my kitchen appliances. Most are pretty old. In my policy I do have coverage for full replacement cost, but they say they are only paying for repairs first, than if they do not work they will pay for replacement.

Estimates are shown below, appliance repair man says they can order and install the parts, but they absolutely will not guarantee the work because of the amount of damage that each unit has, and they pretty much said that they are not worth repairing due to the amount and cost of the damage. (note, they only repair appliances, they do not sell them).

Do I have any recourse to fight the insurance company to get them to just pay for replacement cost upfront ? Not trying to pull a fast one, just trying to get them to do what makes the most sense.

oven: age 14 years, cost to repair $800.00, original purchase and installation cost, $1400,

dishwasher: age 10 years, original purchase and installation cost $750.00, cost to repair $350.00.

Fridge: age 20 years, original purchase price $1000.00, cost to repair $350-$400.00.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I would ask the appliance repair man to write out something to the effect that the appliances are old and that the suggested repairs may not fix them. Then take that to your insurance agent or fax a copy of the estimates, etc. to your insurance company.

EDIT: What insurance company are you dealing with?

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I would ask the appliance repair man to write out something to the effect that the appliances are old and that the suggested repairs may not fix them. Then take that to your insurance agent or fax a copy of the estimates, etc. to your insurance company.

EDIT: What insurance company are you dealing with?

Allstate

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Can you shop around to find someone who will warranty their repairs? Even if its more expensive?

Clint

Nope...I contacted two other shops, described the damage and sent pictures to all of them of the fried components that I took when the first guy came out and sent them the list of parts that need to be replaced, they all said that due to the age of the appliances and the amount of damage they could not guarantee that they would work even with replacement parts.

To be clear, its not that they will not warranty their work, its that they will not guarantee that the appliances will be functioning even after the repair.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
...To be clear, its not that they will not warranty their work, its that they will not guarantee that the appliances will be functioning even after the repair.

have you sent the insurance company copies of what the repair guys said about not being able to guarantee that the appliances wont work after repair? Maybe if they get those statements they'll decide to have you replace them instead

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
have you sent the insurance company copies of what the repair guys said about not being able to guarantee that the appliances wont work after repair? Maybe if they get those statements they'll decide to have you replace them instead

yup...insurance company has everything, including statements from the repairmen that say they consider everything not worth repairing.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I went through a similar experience when i first bought my house. I had an old dishwasher that would not cycle properly and a Solenoid valve was broken. I had a "home warranty" thing when i bought the house so i called them, and let them know. They filed a claim, told me to call this number and that i could set a time with the repair guy. The repair guy showed up, looked at the washer estimated parts and labor at about 300 to fix. A new washer is about 400 for a modest, run of the mill replacement. He wrote out his note, called in the claim, and explained to the warranty people that fixing the machine was rather pointless and that buying a new one is the course he suggested be taken. The warranty company called me back the next day to let me know that they had decided a fix was the correct course of action. I did not argue but was not overly happy, so the repair man showed up and fixed the machine. About 3 months later the tub started to leak when running a cycle. I called again, this time they did not even both having me call a repair man. They wrote a check, sent it to me in the mail, and told me to go get a new dish washer.

The insurance company is trying to get out of this situation and spend the least amount of money as possible. I doubt you will be able to convince them to do it any other way.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I went through a similar experience when i first bought my house. I had an old dishwasher that would not cycle properly and a Solenoid valve was broken. I had a "home warranty" thing when i bought the house so i called them, and let them know. They filed a claim, told me to call this number and that i could set a time with the repair guy. The repair guy showed up, looked at the washer estimated parts and labor at about 300 to fix. A new washer is about 400 for a modest, run of the mill replacement. He wrote out his note, called in the claim, and explained to the warranty people that fixing the machine was rather pointless and that buying a new one is the course he suggested be taken. The warranty company called me back the next day to let me know that they had decided a fix was the correct course of action. I did not argue but was not overly happy, so the repair man showed up and fixed the machine. About 3 months later the tub started to leak when running a cycle. I called again, this time they did not even both having me call a repair man. They wrote a check, sent it to me in the mail, and told me to go get a new dish washer.

The insurance company is trying to get out of this situation and spend the least amount of money as possible. I doubt you will be able to convince them to do it any other way.

thanks...rather infuriating. I am coming up on 14 years of having Allstate as both my home and car insurance carrier, not one single claim filed in that time until now...ugh.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
in case I didn't understand your first post Allstate will pay for the repairs and then if the repairs do not work they will give you the full cost of a replacement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.