Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:58 PM   #51
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Apple and Samsung are suing each other???
Popeye206 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:20 PM   #52
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
And today, with patents, innovation stops because everyone is afraid of getting hit by a patent lawsuit and not being able to afford to defend themselves.
So because of patents, no one is innovating today. That's what you're saying. Right?

I'd be more afraid to innovate if I knew some Korean kitchen appliance conglomerate would just clone my non-patented innovation, leaving me with zero marketability and zero recourse.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:24 PM   #53
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
So because of patents, no one is innovating today. That's what you're saying. Right?
Apple was sued for a camera phone patent just the other day.

Course they can afford it. They have billions in the bank, and can weather a drawn out legal battle, much like any of the larger corporation.

But what about the little guys with big ideas? They won't be able to do anything worthwhile, because they moment they become a threat, one of the big corporations will drop the hammer and sue them over some obscure software patent buried deep within the system.

They won't be able to fight it, so they'll have no other choice but to pay out the nose for some innocuous bit of common sense nothing, or give up the rights to their idea.

...and thus innovation dies.
Renzatic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:35 PM   #54
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

bbeagle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:00 PM   #55
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
What I find funny is that MR posts this but does not post THIS
True. That puts Apple in a bad light though, and I can understand if MRs won't post it. Besides, folks will spin whatever notions in their head to make it seem like it's not that big of a deal.

in the end, Samsung blatantly ripped Apple off with the Galaxy Tab and the first Galaxy phones. The second generations where totally different, and now with the Note 2 and the GS3 they are night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane16 View Post
Can you give me some examples of companies Apple ripped off. Always like reading up about this stuff.

Also it's much harder to keep things "quiet" these days with the internet. It's the world we live in. Besides surely if a company feels they've been ripped off by apple it's their duty to report it to the relevant authorities?

I'm pretty sure you've been blinded by the media because as far as I remember lawsuits have been going on in the tech world since way back in the day.
I wouldn't say blinded by the media, but I agree with you and another poster, no one cared as much back then because there were no ratings or hits tied to it.

The most recent I can remember is the iOS 6 clock:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-clock-design/

And the earliest that comes to mind is the concept of the GUI:

http://www.theoligarch.com/microsoft...le_history.htm

There are a few others sprinkled between, the notification system from Android is still one of my favorites. It showed that Apple can take someone's concept and make it better. Although, Google did fire back and make the NC in 4.0 do just about everything three different apps in iOS can do.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:11 PM   #56
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post

I'd be more afraid to innovate if I knew some Korean kitchen appliance conglomerate would just clone my non-patented innovation, leaving me with zero marketability and zero recourse.
So Samsung is just a korean kitchen appliance conglomerate. Is that right?

Wow.

I doubt you'll respond since I believe you have me on ignore. The truth is too painful of a pill to take since you refuse to see your posts contradicted.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:28 PM   #57
j4zb4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Apple was sued for a camera phone patent just the other day.

Course they can afford it. They have billions in the bank, and can weather a drawn out legal battle, much like any of the larger corporation.

But what about the little guys with big ideas? They won't be able to do anything worthwhile, because they moment they become a threat, one of the big corporations will drop the hammer and sue them over some obscure software patent buried deep within the system.

They won't be able to fight it, so they'll have no other choice but to pay out the nose for some innocuous bit of common sense nothing, or give up the rights to their idea.

...and thus innovation dies.
Or if he hasn't patented the idea some conglomerate will quickly clone it and market it and the poor innovator will get dung for his brilliant idea and effort... Since they won't be able to fight they will have no other choice than to roll over and die...
j4zb4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:32 PM   #58
F1 Fan
macrumors regular

Today: Samsung drop demands for Apple products to be removed from sale.
Tomorrow: Apple drop all lawsuits against Samsung.
Thursday: All tech companies drop all lawsuits, choosing instead to hold hands and sing songs.
Friday: Peace and love spread throughout the world, weapons are destroyed, families reunited, prisoners released and the rich feed the poor...
F1 Fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:36 PM   #59
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
What I find funny is that MR posts this but does not post THIS
True, but my favorite line from that is this one:

Quote:
At the same time, the judge also rejected Samsung's call for a new trial because of alleged juror misconduct.
That was Samsung's most ridiculous claim, and one I've seen repeated here far too often.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:54 PM   #60
steve119
macrumors 6502

Makes you wonder if Samsung has stepped back a bit and thought that maybe going too aggressive with patent suits, that it should calm things a little and let apple make the next move?

These big patent battles are not doing either company any favours.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:02 PM   #61
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy4ever View Post
Next week we will all be GONE! ... end of the World coming this week ... or, haven't you heard yet ....
So instead of being a fanboy 4ever, you will only be one till the end of the week?
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:16 PM   #62
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Fan View Post
Today: Samsung drop demands for Apple products to be removed from sale.
Tomorrow: Apple drop all lawsuits against Samsung.
Thursday: All tech companies drop all lawsuits, choosing instead to hold hands and sing songs.
Friday: Peace and love spread throughout the world, weapons are destroyed, families reunited, prisoners released and the rich feed the poor...
You forgot the last part..

"You can say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one".
MacDav is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion