Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OXO.design

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
I agree with others in saying lon live Mac OS 10.6.8. With yearly Mac OS updates the new Mac OSes will never be as good or as solid of a change os OS 10.6.8 was.

If you want still use Snow Leo - you can. As i am. I am sticking with SL by choice on my MBPro. It is latest 17" model (Late 2011, 2.5 QC i7, 16 GB ram, 120 GB SSD + 750 GB HDD, Antiglare) which I bought last summer when I realized that is the last MacBook in my favorite size, with large, matte screen, and that such will not be. It was sold with Lion but according to Machine Profile info - minimum system req. is 10.6.6! :)
It is still in the store
For me - SL is still primary system for working machines; fast, stable, giving the assurance that nothing will break me in the middle of work.
I have bought ML too, installed on other HD to the test, but unfortunately it is not as fast as SL.
One future (for me) is missing - iCloud. I would like to be able to use this solution to sync with my iOS devices.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Don't know if this would work for you, but I use an iTunes card whenever I want something from App Store or whatever they call it these days. I got a bunch as gifts over the years, so I had to put them to work.

Thank you for the tip, but I would still have to go through register and ID process.

Why, for example, does Apple insist upon recording my home address and phone number - I'm not even in the same country!?

And, as for downloading large files ....

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Thank you for the tip, but I would still have to go through register and ID process.

Why, for example, does Apple insist upon recording my home address and phone number - I'm not even in the same country!?

And, as for downloading large files ....

Just don't give them your real address or phone number. They use if you call to locate the closest apple store.

Just use prepaid cards and a fake address and DOB..

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
See...!? :mad:

What did I say...?

Bring in Windows users, and here comes the ML-Windows worshippers... These "new" people have never used Snow Leopard before, and they will never understand why some long-time Mac users hated Lion and Mountain Lion so much...

This is the problem I see with Apple nowadays trying hard to dumb down OS X just to satisfy them by offering dumbed down Windows-esque features on OS X... No wonder L/ML are flops...

"ML-Windows worshippers". it's innovative:)

Apple is not trying to bring in Windows users to Mac business, instead Apple is trying to bring in iPad users. Please blame iPad users for this OS X "dumb down" problem.

I bought Macs for the industrial design and low fan noise, not for OS X. Comparing to Windows, OS X upgrade is not expensive. That's why I upgrade SL to L to ML. I don't even know what would I get from L, and ML, or if it might even crash OS X partition. But I don't care because I bootcamp Windows 7 for my work. Seriously, as an OS X casual user, it is more fun to use ML than SL.

Apple wants to grow Mac business, the potential customers are iPad users, not Windows users. Windows users have no choice for the OS because most Windows users use Windows for work.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Bring in Windows users, and here comes the ML-Windows worshippers... These "new" people have never used Snow Leopard before, and they will never understand why some long-time Mac users hated Lion and Mountain Lion so much...
You don't have to be a former Windows user to like Mountain Lion. I've been using the Mac OS since 7.6 and I like it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You don't have to be a former Windows user to like Mountain Lion. I've been using the Mac OS since 7.6 and I like it.

I've been using OS X Since 10.5 and before that, I was a Linux user, mostly a KDE user (since the 1.x days) coming off of Enlightenment when Rasterman failed to ship DR17 in a timely fashion.

Yet I liked Lion (mostly MC was a great improvement to Spaces/Expose for me) and Mountain Lion has been a very solid release for me.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Upgrade - as in upgrading the OS.

So, before that did you complain about the 'forced use' of a DVD?

----------

If we're talking about iCloud, then its better to put it this way.

Your old car had ESP, but after a while the manufacturer disabled the feature and to get it back you need a new car.

Really? So, before iCloud, my old computer had iCloud, but I had to buy a new one to get it back?

At what point do you stop complaining that a company doesn't back-port their new features? Should they have included iCloud, GCD, and 64-bit support to the old, Classic systems, too? :rolleyes:

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

----------

Really? So, before iCloud, my old computer had iCloud, but I had to buy a new one to get it back?

At what point do you stop complaining that a company doesn't back-port their new features? Should they have included iCloud, GCD, and 64-bit support to the old, Classic systems, too? :rolleyes:

Before iCloud was Mobile Me that was used to sync info between devices and since its magical transformation to iCloud it stopped working.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Even Mac users do not like ML.

From even looking at the skewed opinions here on MR (which do not represent the diverse views of the majority Apple's users), it seems Mac users have a much softer view of ML than Windows users do of Windows 8.

Windows 7 was a fantastic release, maybe the best version ever, a shame Microsoft's idiotic executives are still pushing "One Windows, Everywhere" mantra that was just as stupid as it was in the Windows CE days.

I think Microsoft's days as number one is more limited than Apple's. They are a company lacking a direction who can only react to the industry who has passed them. They have plenty of time to right the ship, but they need entirely new leadership.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country

Please read before commenting. I am referring to the forced use of the AppStore and its registration process. Buying a DVD was simply a matter of handing cash over - anonymously.

The simple fact is, if I want/need the latest OS, I have to enter the closed garden - replete with my life story.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
From even looking at the skewed opinions here on MR (which do not represent the diverse views of the majority Apple's users), it seems Mac users have a much softer view of ML than Windows users do of Windows 8.

Windows 7 was a fantastic release, maybe the best version ever, a shame Microsoft's idiotic executives are still pushing "One Windows, Everywhere" mantra that was just as stupid as it was in the Windows CE days.

I think Microsoft's days as number one is more limited than Apple's. They are a company lacking a direction who can only react to the industry who has passed them. They have plenty of time to right the ship, but they need entirely new leadership.

If I have to choose, I'll choose ML :apple: over Windows 8.

Windows 8 GUI is ugly, I don't like the "mid-century modern" Metro UI. I had tried Windows 8 trial version, it does not have XP mode, it does not have 32-bit IE. It is uesless for my work. If MS wants to fix it, it can be done easily in Windows 9.

In business world, I think MS is number one and it will be number one. Apple is just a popular consumer products company.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Please read before commenting. I am referring to the forced use of the AppStore and its registration process. Buying a DVD was simply a matter of handing cash over - anonymously.

The simple fact is, if I want/need the latest OS, I have to enter the closed garden - replete with my life story.

I did read. You just didn't include any of that information in what you said. I can read text, but I can't read minds.

Shall I point out that the *whole* of what you posted, and I responded to, was:
The forced use of the AppStore is the number one reason why I will not upgrade, nor buy new Apple hardware.

Old school or not, I insist upon being able to privately purchase my needs.

You didn't mention a registration process. (Nor is one required to buy new Apple hardware.) And absolutely nothing involved prevents you from 'privately purchasing your needs'.

If you want people to understand what you're complaining about (regardless of whether it's rational), you should at least be sure to include it in your complaint.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I did read. You just didn't include any of that information in what you said. I can read text, but I can't read minds.

Shall I point out that the *whole* of what you posted, and I responded to, was:

You didn't mention a registration process. (Nor is one required to buy new Apple hardware.) And absolutely nothing involved prevents you from 'privately purchasing your needs'.

If you want people to understand what you're complaining about (regardless of whether it's rational), you should at least be sure to include it in your complaint.

My post actually said upgrade, as in moving from SL to ML. For that I need to get it from the AppStore.

My reference to not buying new Apple H/W refers to the fact that any upgrade to it would put me, again, where I do not wish to go.

You are correct in stating that I don't need to register a purchase of new H/W, but from that point on I'm stuck with the system it came with unless I use the AppStore.

Ubuntu is looking better by the day.

theumang

macrumors member
What a shame! its the most popular Mac OS due to a few following reasons (like a few have pointed out)

Dropped support for Macs that could have still run it.
The most feature rich Mac OS in the past few iterations (10.5 was the most exciting & feature rich) everything else added just a little bit of update & mostly fine tuned the previous versions, nothing ground breaking!

Mac OS & iOS have really not given a lot of features in the past few iterations.
Sadly for them, I have fallen out of love, my last apple product I bought was an ipod touch 2g.

Like the other fan boys call the Apple followers ; Sheeple, it really is turning out that way & this is a really bad time as there is nothing new being put on the table.

It took the 3rd gen to get a video recording feature
5th iOS iteration to get cut copy paste
They took a lot of time, 5 gen of iOS devices & billions of $$$$ to give what they could have given in maximum of 2 iterations.

Time to wake up.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Still on 10.6 here. No reason to upgrade, everything is working great (however there are apps that are dropping 10.6 support). No features seem to be worth it for me and mission control doesn't appeal to me compared to how great spaces+exposé is.

From my cold dead hands.

pondosinatra

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Not a chance of having decent functionality and a standard install would be impossible.

Well functionality isn't an issue -there's a reason I want SL.

I'm curious if the SL installer would pop up a dialog saying it wasn't a supported system or not...

I know in the old days you could do a resedit tweak and make the computer think it was a different model...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.