Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
iTnetennba
macrumors newbie

New iMac won't connect to the Internet, but will connect to network.

I have a 3 week old 2012 27-inch iMac and this morning I turned it on and it wouldn't connect to the internet. It connected to my home network just fine, just not the internet. I assumed it was my router's fault, but every other device in the house connected to the internet just fine. I have already tried turning it off and on again, many times, as with my router. I have also tried turning the Wi-Fi off and on in System Preferences. Any help?
iTnetennba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:11 AM   #2
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTnetennba View Post
I have a 3 week old 2012 27-inch iMac and this morning I turned it on and it wouldn't connect to the internet. It connected to my home network just fine, just not the internet. I assumed it was my router's fault, but every other device in the house connected to the internet just fine. I have already tried turning it off and on again, many times, as with my router. I have also tried turning the Wi-Fi off and on in System Preferences. Any help?
when you look at your network info under utilities does the ip assigned to wifi look to be in the same range as your other devices?
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:19 AM   #3
iTnetennba
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
when you look at your network info under utilities does the ip assigned to wifi look to be in the same range as your other devices?
If I understand you correctly, then yes. Only the last number in the IPv4 address change from device to device.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTnetennba View Post
If I understand you correctly, then yes. Only the last number in the IPv4 address change from device to device.
Yep that's right ok one more test, on the machine that is not working go into network utils and try to ping www.google.com if it says it cant find it then put in this IP 8.8.8.8 (a google IP) and try to ping that, this will tell us if it's a route issue or a dns issue.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5
iTnetennba
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
Yep that's right ok one more test, on the machine that is not working go into network utils and try to ping www.google.com if it says it cant find it then put in this IP 8.8.8.8 (a google IP) and try to ping that, this will tell us if it's a route issue or a dns issue.
When doing a ping on google.com it couldn't resolve the hostname.
When doing a ping on 8.8.8.8 it displayed this:

Code:
Ping has started…

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
Request timeout for icmp_seq 6
Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:49 AM   #6
saberstrike
macrumors newbie

From your post, I am assuming you are trying to connect wirelessly? Have you tried with an ethernet cable? How well did internet work before this started happening?

If it works when connected with a cable, I would look for software updates. You may want to try flushing your DNS cache as well (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5343)
saberstrike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
iTnetennba
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberstrike View Post
From your post, I am assuming you are trying to connect wirelessly? Have you tried with an ethernet cable? How well did internet work before this started happening?

If it works when connected with a cable, I would look for software updates. You may want to try flushing your DNS cache as well (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5343)
I am connecting wirelessly. My router is in the other room, and there is no phone port in the room with the iMac. I will do this later, as it is kind of a hassle to move it, (sorry).
My internet worked absolutely rubbish before, but that's nothing to do with the iMac, it's the fact that I get 0.3Mbps down on average where I live...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
imac 2012, network, problem, router, wifi