Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackspeare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I have been using a MBA for a little over a year and the power supply has been a bit cranky----it wouldn't always charge the unit. I would try different receptacles and after a period of time it would suddenly work again! I recently found out the reason why and I don't know if it is universal, but if the power supply is too cold it won't work. Now if the power supply won't work I hold it over a light bulb until it feels warm to the touch and voila it works!

tburk32

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
This is really ironic to me as I created a thread a couple days ago about my girlfriend having similar issues with her macbook air (2011). She didn't realize it wasn't charging until it was down to 2% and the warning popped up. The way we got it to start charging is by using the extention cable that was included (which was in a drawer so it was probably warmer) the reason I say it is ironic is because I always complain how cold it is in her house. I wonder if there is any validity to this "warming the cable to get it to work" theory.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Clean the magsafe connector, both ends, that's ALL you can do. The unit is glued shut.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Those power supplies are a touch notorious for failing prematurely, Google that problem. Replace it and be thankful for having Apple care to pay for the new one.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I had a 2011 MBA that was on its 3rd charger in a period of 6 months, one of those chargers died within a month. After several trips our local Apple Store (~60 miles away) and an email to Tim Cook, the MBA was replaced. Currently using that replaced MBA, about 10 months now, and have not had a single issue.

Ohlias

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2011
Canada
Those power supplies are a touch notorious for failing prematurely, Google that problem. Replace it and be thankful for having Apple care to pay for the new one.

Same for me here, 2011 MBA and charger pooped out on me right after apple warranty. Luckily, my credit card warranty covered it. Bought a new one and kept the old one as a back up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.