Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
You're fairly delusional if you think most people's interest in open source stem from an ability to tweak the code themselves. It's simply false that most people can modify FOSS "all they want" as only a small minority have the ability to do so, and even in this group most won't have the time or resources.

yet some how GNU has been out there since the 80's and Linux since 91. For the average user means not being under the large SW companies thumb and whims

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have nothing against Microsoft Office. I've used the Windows versions in school and they were extremely easy to use.

But Office 2008 for Mac is complete garbage, and using it is a nightmare in my opinion. For the Mac side Pages & Numbers is a much better alternative or better yet Google Docs.

I agree with you. Office 2008 was atrocious. I recently upgraded to 2011 and it is night and day. 2011 feels more like a legitimate Office product. for those of us who like Office, that is obviously a compliment.

MetalGearTW

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
you can get MS Office for Mac 2011 for $9.99 via their Home Use Program.. just need a valid work email

I recently switched over from Windows 8 to Mac (Mac Mini 2012) and though I am currently a student, MS Office is still too pricey. Thank you so much for bringing this up!!! It worked with my university .edu email.

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
Yup, you should install Linux on your mac too !

I tried Ubuntu, and it's even worse than Windows to use. I thought it would be a lot better. Same goes with the other open-source stuff like FireFox (even slower than IE) and OpenOffice. Huge letdown.

----------

For the average user means not being under the large SW companies thumb and whims

For the average user, it means that nobody is being paid to work on it, it's made for nerds who like working for their computer instead of the other way around, and there's no customer service.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
No they slept with my dog and ran over my wife on the way to your place to sleep with your wife. Seriously is there a need for this stupidity.

As for your slightly more legitimate statement. I know of people that have a mac running MS office, chrome browser, dropbox, and a bunch of other stuff. That was the WinTel model not the Walled-off-Garden that is Apple. What is the point of getting an Apple if you are going to then not use the whole value proposition. At least for me it makes no sense. If I was going to do the mix and match and then fight with the integration model, I would get a cheap ass WinTel thing.

I don't have an issue with Office, other than it is expensive for what it does, but Google's crap calls home like crazy.

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Just as IOS people (around 100 million) managed to work around the availability of Office I am sure we OSX users can do the same

Microsoft = grunge = damp in the head

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Good Riddance.
I am so sick of "rebuilding the database".
At my work I have been on a mission to get everyone off of Office 2008 (and 2004). Replacing it with Apples suite for people that don't need advanced features, and with 2011 for those that do.

As far as all you Microsoft haters saying "just use Google docs" or "Just use Mail and Keynote". Those products are great for light use or SOHO use. But in medium to large businesses. In accounting, analytics and other heavy numbers departments there is no replacement that has as many features and as much third party support as the Office Suite.
I know it is hard to use in some ways, and can be a PITA to troubleshoot. (see "rebuild database...") but the google docs and Apple suite equivalents of Excel are just not nearly as advanced. This also applies to the email client as well. Though I am still disapointed that I cannot manage distribution lists from Mac Outlook 2011, but I can from PC Outlook 2003?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Though I am still disapointed that I cannot manage distribution lists from Mac Outlook 2011, but I can from PC Outlook 2003?

That is because of design. Do that in Contacts app. It is a system wide address book in Mountain Lion. Before it was called Address book.
Outlook just rolls in Contacts, Calendar, Mail into one application where Apple uses a dedicated Mail app and uses global Address Book and Calendar repositories that many third-party apps can use.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
That is because of design. Do that in Contacts app. It is a system wide address book in Mountain Lion. Before it was called Address book.
Outlook just rolls in Contacts, Calendar, Mail into one application where Apple uses a dedicated Mail app and uses global Address Book and Calendar repositories that many third-party apps can use.
AFAIK you cannot manage an Exchange server DL from Contacts, or any Mac application that I now of. You can only build your own DLs that are limited to being used by you. Not any use to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.