Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vell843

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
When you open up Safari in iOS 7, Hoe do you get rid of those four icons that always appear?

Vell843

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Thanks! Now how do I add websites to my favorites? lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't understand the difference between "favorites" and "bookmarks"?
Favorites is a subset of bookmarks that get displayed when you open an empty new tab in Safari for quick access type of purposes.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Interestingly, bookmarks placed in Favorites on iOS 7 will appear in Bookmarks Bar on Safari in Mountain Lion.

They seem more similar to Top Sites to me.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Interestingly, bookmarks placed in Favorites on iOS 7 will appear in Bookmarks Bar on Safari in Mountain Lion.

They seem more similar to Top Sites to me.

yes! i'm baffled as to why apple wouldn't just give us access to top sites. using manually created favorites is very backwards IMO

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Favorites is just the new name for bookmarks bar on iOS since there isn't a bookmarks bar. It should probably be changed on OS X too for consistency. But I also think it's funny to see the term return to browsers after years of exile when everyone tried to distance themselves from Internet Explorer.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Favorites is just the new name for bookmarks bar on iOS since there isn't a bookmarks bar. It should probably be changed on OS X too for consistency. But I also think it's funny to see the term return to browsers after years of exile when everyone tried to distance themselves from Internet Explorer.

I think IE was actually the odd man out; Netscape was released before IE and it called them bookmarks. Not sure about Mosaic (edit: Looks like Mosaic called it the Hotlist).

YourHerojb

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
It just seems silly that bookmarks on OS X and iOS would be connected at this level.

I deleted and edited favorites on my iPhone because I don't need things like Facebook, Youtube and Pandora when all of those have dedicated apps, and Pandora is flash based, so there's absolutely no point to have a direct link to that on an iPhone.

After editing favorites, now my whole bookmarks bar on my computer is torn apart after getting used to all the command numbers for my sites I visit.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
It just seems silly that bookmarks on OS X and iOS would be connected at this level.

I deleted and edited favorites on my iPhone because I don't need things like Facebook, Youtube and Pandora when all of those have dedicated apps, and Pandora is flash based, so there's absolutely no point to have a direct link to that on an iPhone.

After editing favorites, now my whole bookmarks bar on my computer is torn apart after getting used to all the command numbers for my sites I visit.

Another reason for it to be synced with Top Sites, aside from it being more similar and logical.
Wonder what the chances of this happening before final release are...

Besides, I know many users that have have a gazillion bookmarks and folders in their "Favorites" bar in Safari.
It makes startup a bit laggy on OS X, but could probably crash entirely on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.