Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Does media center work for you guys? I've installed both clicktoplugin and mediacenter and I can't airplay any videos. I even don't get the alternative when hovering the upper right corner of the video (where you can choose video quality).

Using safari 6.0.5 and latest extensions.

Edit: have checked the atvs bonjour name too.
Edit2: Enabled airplay in clicktoplugin-extentsion, but when hitting airplay nothing happens.

Last edited:

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
Does media center work for you guys? I've installed both clicktoplugin and mediacenter and I can't airplay any videos. I even don't get the alternative when hovering the upper right corner of the video (where you can choose video quality).

Using safari 6.0.5 and latest extensions.

Edit: have checked the atvs bonjour name too.
Edit2: Enabled airplay in clicktoplugin-extentsion, but when hitting airplay nothing happens.

Yes, MediaCenter (and ClickToFlash) continue to work fine for me, now on Safari 7 and Mavericks. Make sure you have the latest version of the extensions, there have been quite a few fixes and tweaks in the last few months.

The best place to test MediaCenter is Vimeo.com, since that site is now all HTML5.

----------

I meant video and that from other than iTunes, also would be nice if i can airplay my windows desktop via airplay too.... thought someone would have come up with stuff already for this, but not much around

Check out AirParrot, it works on Mac and Windows:
http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
Yep, Airplay (in Safari/Mac) works from YouTube for me, as well as Facebook, TEDTalks, DailyMotion, and lots and lots of other video sites. Make sure you have the latest version of ClickToFlash installed, that will present the Airplay-able HTML5 video whenever possible.

I would also make sure you're NOT enrolled in YouTube's own HTML5 beta as I think the HTML5/QuickTime UI that ClickToFlash provides works better.

Lastly, also install Media Center (from the same developer) as that will give you the same Airplay contextual menu command for video sites that already have moved over to HTML5 by default or exclusively (like Vimeo, and Funny or Die, and a few others.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
-BUMP-

And it appears with today's announcement of OS X El Capitan, we're going to be able to (finally) do it from native Mac OS:

Monosnap_2015-06-08_10-29-37.png

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Why is this a good thing? At the moment all you do is fling it into another window full screen on it's own, job done, surely building hooks into the vid allows for content providers to lock down air play on a mac ala iOS?

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
Why is this a good thing? At the moment all you do is fling it into another window full screen on it's own, job done, surely building hooks into the vid allows for content providers to lock down air play on a mac ala iOS?

Comparing "fullscreen AirPlay" to iOS-style flinging of HTML5 video misses a bit of the point. I do both, frequently, and the latter (by way of ClickToFlash) is waaaaay more efficient, elegant and refined of an experience. Much less CPU-intensive, too. It also means you can have the video stream independently, easily, without having to monopolize your Mac. (Yes, I know AirPlay fullscreen can also act as a wireless 2nd desktop/display.)

Straightforward AirPlay video just works better. There's never any A/V lag or offset lipsync, it's direct streaming, and works brilliantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.