Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah, when you compare it to the original iPad, it's pretty sweet. The last two, not so much.

But it's a CONCENTRATION!?

Well, I'm not too sure about your statement. I mean, many people are opting for the iPad mini because of its size. Better is really just a perspective.

It really depends on people's usage, so I don't think you can really generalize it like that...

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
On a slight tangent, shame Apple didn't follow the Mini and change the headphone jack colour appropriately for white and black....hopefully in iPad 5

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have a iPad 3 which is my wife's and just recently purchased the mini. And honestly u don't really notice the performance or the non retina screen compared to the 3. I was worried bout the specs and thought I'd just test this out for a week and decide. But it work how I want it. It's fast, screen is fine and does everything I'd want my iPad to do. Is it dumb to exchange? Well it's totally based on ur preference and iPad experience u wish to have. For ur reasons given - go for it.

You don't really notice the performance differences mainly because the full size retina iPads are really overkill for any basic tablet functions and mostly all apps except for a few. But the screen really? I had a mini and my iPad 3 side by side for almost a half hour at work and wow i don't know how anyone could go back to non retina. Just text alone it's worth it never mind games photos and web pages.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
But it's a CONCENTRATION!?

Well, I'm not too sure about your statement. I mean, many people are opting for the iPad mini because of its size. Better is really just a perspective.

It really depends on people's usage, so I don't think you can really generalize it like that...

I think more of them are CONCENTRATING on it's cost, rather than it's size, just like the original iPod mini. No retina screen, and using internal components from two generations ago?

I think they set the bar as low as possible on this version, so it will be easier to come back in six months to a year and announce what a vast, drastic improvement the new one is during the keynote.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
I got both the mini and the ipad 4, when I initially downloaded my previously purchased apps, it took a long time for the apps to download.

Anyone else experience that.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I think more of them are CONCENTRATING on it's cost, rather than it's size, just like the original iPod mini. No retina screen, and using internal components from two generations ago?

I think they set the bar as low as possible on this version, so it will be easier to come back in six months to a year and announce what a vast, drastic improvement the new one is during the keynote.

There is no doubt that cost is definitely a factor here, but anyone walking into Apple is going to be ready to spend some serious cash (compared with the competition). What I mean here is that cost is a factor to consider, but not the deciding, or maybe even a big factor at all.

I'm sure a lot of people who bought the iPad Mini can also afford an iPad (fourth gen). I think the savings is just an extra reason to buy the mini, but not the deciding factor in whether people would ultimately get the mini over the iPad.

It is generally agreed upon (from what I've read so far), that the iPad mini form factor just suits a lot of the existing users better given that their existing set up already has highly portable devices. They are simply seeking even more portability without compromising too much usability, so the iPad mini is naturally the "better' choice.

Some people who feel that the Retina Display is a must and already have a large power-oriented, rather than portability-oriented setup, would rather have the full sized iPad, making that iPad "better".

With this line of thought, you can almost classify the iPad (4th gen) as the "Pro" device and the iPad Mini as the "Air" device. "Better", then, is simply based on perspective and use rather than the overall machine.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
On a slight tangent, shame Apple didn't follow the Mini and change the headphone jack colour appropriately for white and black....hopefully in iPad 5

Oh no!!! Not the colour of the headphone jack! I'm returning my 4 immediately!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Two very important things to consider. I think if you have an air then the mini fits right between the two (phone and air). If you have a pro, desktop, or no laptop....then you really want the full sized iPad

Yeah I definitely agree with this.
:)

Apple163

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
The iPad 4 is a screamer

I have been using the iPad 4 for a couple of days now and in my experience there is a dramatic jump in performance and in Wifi speed compared to the iPad 3. As an example I use the app Pressreader to read the local paper. On the iPad 3 it worked well but there was some lag when the paper loaded and the text became "focused". With the iPad 4 that is gone. No waiting. As soon as I turn the page the text is in focus. I noticed the increase in Wifi speed when downloading apps and could not believe the difference in speed.

Now.. as far as the Mini goes I also have a LTE version ordered because I am a gluttonous pig at times and want the both of best worlds. I feel when the original iPad hit the shelves it was a very light because I was comparing it to a laptop but now the standard has changed with Mini. Now it is heavy and bulky. I plan on using the iPad 4 more as a stationary device i.e. on desk at work and the Mini for my times out of the office and while traveling.

hawon

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
I hate the 16:9 form factor. Its only good for video and most of these tablets have that big bezel which defeats the purpose to begin with. I prefer 4:3 ratio because websites and books look far better with it and the page doesn't look cramped like they do in the nexus 7. Plus the colors are far away better on the iPad vs. the nexus 7 despite the fact nexus 7 has higher pixel density. The colors look washed out on it. I definitely noticed and the software was laggy and slow despite having the better processor. I was so happy to purchase the mini iPad and i almost love it. The retina display wouldve sealded the deal in my eyes.

----------

Check it out first. Its not for everyone.

Yeah it is preferential more than anything. I am one of lucky who doesn't have any issue with displays. Colors are not washed out on mine. Produced better crisp picture than ipad 2 or mini. I personally think 16:10 is much closer to actual pages of a book than 4:3. No one ever complained about news paper's narrow columns. Website? I never had an issue. All tablets zoom in very smartly.

I don't use it as mine but I do have ipad 3 in the house too but i bareky touch it. I rather grab my rMBP. To me, ipad mini is far better platform. I would considered getting one if it had better display. iPad mini could been far superior to other tablets. Far better than iPad 4 even with little less specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.