Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resseh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Hello All!

my aperture library is something like 30gb now and i want to delete a load of photos to get it down to 10gb. Id rather do this on my iPad - is this something that is possible - maybe by assigning a rating to each photo on my ipad?

thanks

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
You'll have to do this on your Mac. One way would be to create a vault or archive specific projects or images to an external HD. Once you do that, you can then delete the project or images. Don't forget to empty the Aperture Trash.

Resseh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
thought it would be a job for my mac but was hoping otherwise :(

good tip about the aperture trash - found that out recently and had something like 20 gb of photos in there.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hello All!

my aperture library is something like 30gb now and i want to delete a load of photos to get it down to 10gb. Id rather do this on my iPad - is this something that is possible - maybe by assigning a rating to each photo on my ipad?

thanks

Do you want to do this to minimize photo space on your iPad?

The best way to do this is via ratings (on your Mac). From there, you can create smart albums using ratings, keywords, locations, etc. Then share the albums so those are the only things on your iPad.

The advantages are great.

1) You only have your best work for display and or consumption segregated from the rest of the "crap" pictures.
2) You still have your entire photo collection available for other purposes in your Mac
3) Creating albums does not take more space. They are just pointers to original photos that live in "projects".
4) Albums are trivial to share, across you various Macs, IOS devices, Apple TVs, etc.

/Jim

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Tell iTunes to only import/sync a few of your iPhoto libraries/albums to the iPad or iPhone. No need to delete photos off the Mac iPhoto libraries.

Resseh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
its more to clear up space on my macbook - i have all photos backed up on a server and most on my macbook air. But out of the 256gb SSD - I have about 6GB free so really need to clear up some space soon

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
its more to clear up space on my macbook - i have all photos backed up on a server and most on my macbook air. But out of the 256gb SSD - I have about 6GB free so really need to clear up some space soon

I strongly recommend that you keep one monolithic photo library... (and of course make sure it is backed up). If you have bits and pieces of your library all over the place... you will eventually screw up and delete something important.

Since your library no longer fits on your MBA... move it to an external... and keep it intact.

/Jim

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Move all the major libraries (photos, music, videos, documents) to a large external disk. Needless to say, use Time Machine and another external disk to backup all other disks. Carry any music and photos in an iPhone or iPad that you want to hear or share. That minimizes the use of disk space inside a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.