Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sytrusze

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hey,

why does Apple choose not to integrate the CMD + X shortcut (cut files from one location to another)? It really makes no sense. At the moment, the only way you this is possible is through third party apps.

Does Apple have a specific reason for not integrating this? (it better be good :apple:)

sytrusze

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks, didn't knew that trick. Don't understand the logic behind it though. Cutting/moving text is done with CMD X and cutting/moving files is done with CMD + OPTION + V. On top of that, CMD + X is an unused shortcut, it isn't used by any other function so they could easily fix this flaw...but who am I to tell Apple what to do, right :)

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Thanks, didn't knew that trick. Don't understand the logic behind it though. Cutting/moving text is done with CMD X and cutting/moving files is done with CMD + OPTION + V. On top of that, CMD + X is an unused shortcut, it isn't used by any other function so they could easily fix this flaw...but who am I to tell Apple what to do, right :)

Yeah I know, it's a weird little thing. But Apple doesn't want you messing around in that old fashioned file system anymore :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah I know, it's a weird little thing. But Apple doesn't want you messing around in that old fashioned file system anymore :p
That's not true. There's nothing preventing a user from "messing around" in the file system. You just need to know what shortcuts work in OS X.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey,

why does Apple choose not to integrate the CMD + X shortcut (cut files from one location to another)? It really makes no sense. At the moment, the only way you this is possible is through third party apps.

Does Apple have a specific reason for not integrating this? (it better be good :apple:)

I believe the concern is that if you do a command-x with a group of files and the power goes out or you have a drive glitch, those files would be in limbo and get corrupted/deleted and your system would be sunk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.