Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merrill.pasco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
jpg display in MacBook Finder no longer shows image, just JPG icon, no matter which file or folder I try to look at. How do I reset to show actual images ???

Merrill Pasco

ncmason

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
jpg display in MacBook Finder no longer shows image, just JPG icon, no matter which file or folder I try to look at. How do I reset to show actual images ???

Merrill Pasco

In Finder, hold down Command + J. Check "Show icon preview".

jessiesays

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2009
Image preview display not showing for me either

I've also just stumbled across this - images that were previously previewing, aren't. Mostly jpgs, but also the icon previews of pdfs, etc.

Any ideas? I'm a graphic designer, and it's really getting in the way of being able to find images quickly.

Thanks!

kitchenj

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Viewing jpg thumbnails in Finder

Hi,

I don't know if this'll help anyone, but I was struggling like crazy with this, ... I couldn't see the thumbnails of my photos in Finder. Damn - tried everything including all the good advice I could see here - but nothing worked, just got bigger icons.

Then the magic. Turns out when your looking for thumbnails of your picture files (say jpg's) within a folder, there's a little "twistie" (triangle) by the word 'Preview' (under which all the file info appears, you know, Name, Kind Size etc.) ... all you do is click on the Twistie and down drops a thumbnail of your image, presto!

Not only that, but once you've done it, its set like that for all your photos and you can 'explore' all your files and photos very easily without getting tangled up in iPhoto!

Phew, - my faith in Mac & Finder is restored!

Cheers Jeremy, the Victor Meldrew of users!

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Hi,

I don't know if this'll help anyone, but I was struggling like crazy with this, ... I couldn't see the thumbnails of my photos in Finder. Damn - tried everything including all the good advice I could see here - but nothing worked, just got bigger icons.

Then the magic. Turns out when your looking for thumbnails of your picture files (say jpg's) within a folder, there's a little "twistie" (triangle) by the word 'Preview' (under which all the file info appears, you know, Name, Kind Size etc.) ... all you do is click on the Twistie and down drops a thumbnail of your image, presto!

Not only that, but once you've done it, its set like that for all your photos and you can 'explore' all your files and photos very easily without getting tangled up in iPhoto!

Phew, - my faith in Mac & Finder is restored!

Cheers Jeremy, the Victor Meldrew of users!

Easier way:- click on a picture file, open "View Options" in "View" menu bar, tick "always view as icons" and "show icon preview". All pics in same folder will now show preview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.