Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
iPhone (iPhone 5S/6) - expensive iPhone, latest tech, aluminum, 4.7-inch Retina
iPhone mini (iPod Touch) - cheap iPhone, old tech, glass, 4-inch Retina
iWatch (iPod Nano)

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
iPhone and iPod touch are two different products I don't see this happing. I mean don't get me wrong apple my release a cheaper iPhone but it would be sperate from an iPod just my thoughts.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I would say there is a possibility for them to drop ipod touch. Few people thought they would upgrade Ipod touch and release 5th gen. Now that Ipad mini is practically the same price and probably more popular, i dont know if there would be any refresh.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would say there is a possibility for them to drop ipod touch. Few people thought they would upgrade Ipod touch and release 5th gen. Now that Ipad mini is practically the same price and probably more popular, i dont know if there would be any refresh.
I think there would be. the iPod Touch is still a pocket size device and that matters for some people. Parents will buy them for their children that they don't think are old enough for a cell phone yet.

And as we've seen in other threads, there are people with both iPhones and iPod touches in active use.

The iPad mini might steal some sales from the iPod Touch, but not enough to damage the viability of the iPod touch as a product. After all, the iPod Classic is still around.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
What is it with people and their love for larger screens? If you want a phone so uncomfortable that you can't use it, I have a rotary phone sitting in my basement somewhere if you'd wanna give that a try. What makes you think that Apple will be upping the screen size? Steve Jobs made it very clear that he wanted the iPhone to remain operable with only one hand, and he also had influence in years worth of product development before he passed.

As far as the iPod goes, I don't think it's going anywhere.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
iPhone (iPhone 5S/6) - expensive iPhone, latest tech, aluminum, 4.7-inch Retina
iPhone mini (iPod Touch) - cheap iPhone, old tech, glass, 4-inch Retina
iWatch (iPod Nano)

Unlikely.iPod good for kids and people who just want a cheap prepaid phone.No monthly charge to use an iPod.And we don't know if this watch will act as a stand alone device.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Nope. No way.
There is a massive market for people who want iPod Touches and have other phones/too young for a phone.

If anything the Nano will disappear. But also unlikely.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I don't think the iPod touch will be retired, (At least not for now) The iPod touch is being promoted right now as a camera and most fun device for those without an iPhone. The iPad mini doesn't have the camera flash that iPod touch has, and it also is lacking the colors, I think that as time goes on, iPod touch will gain a new capacity, 128GB, and the iPod Classic will be retired, While iPod touch and iPad mini will have the same release schedule, in which both have the same type of internals, which are behind the iPad and iPhone perspectively.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Nope. No way.
There is a massive market for people who want iPod Touches and have other phones/too young for a phone.

If anything the Nano will disappear. But also unlikely.

Agreed that Ipod touches are for kids too young for a phone. But at the price they sell today cheapest one start at 299. Which one would they choose, i mean its the parent who actually paid for the device so i believe Kids these days can handle a light 8 inches mini.

Unless, unless Touch 16 GB is released. Regards to nano comment, i think they should drop it if they dont want to include wifi on the thing. Its just stupid for a USD 150 mp3 players that you can't download purchased songs over the air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.