Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phantassee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
southern california
I have a windows 8 pc with a usb Epson stylus nx410 printer attached. I have a MacBook running osx 10.6.8...they are both on my home network (pc connected to router by Ethernet cable and the Mac is wirelessly connected to the router). I have no problem sharing files between the two computers over the network, and can even play movies and music from one system to the other, as well as sare documents. but, I have been unable to print from the Mac to the Epson printer that is attached to the pc by usb cable. the printer prints fine from the pc, as well as scans...but, I have tried everything I can think of to get the nac to print. if I disconnect the printer from te pc and onnect it directly to the Mac by usb cable and load the Epson drivers, it prints fine and scans too. so I know all my hardware is functioning correctly. I know pc's very well, and an more than a novice with the Mac. I even have a little unix experience as well as some network experience. but I can't seem to print from the Mac through the network to the printer on the pc. if someone has step by step instructions on achieving this, I would be very grateful. so, who has asolution for me? thank you.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
You must connect the printer to the network with an ethernet cable. The way you have the printer connected to the pc will not work over the network.

phantassee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
southern california
alternative idea...

You must connect the printer to the network with an ethernet cable. The way you have the printer connected to the pc will not work over the network.

FYI:
I just installed google cloud print on the pc, and both pc's as well as my iphone can print to either of my printers (both connected to the pc's) tomorrow I an going to set up my wife's iphone and our ipad to print the same way...then I am going to try it on the mac. theoretically, the cloud won't care if it is a pc, a mac or a unix system, because it will handle the print jobs like a network print server. according to google, the mac will print via the cloud to any printer on the network. I will post my results when I am finished.

----------

FYI:
I just installed google cloud print on the pc, and both pc's as well as my iphone can print to either of my printers (both connected to the pc's) tomorrow I an going to set up my wife's iphone and our ipad to print the same way...then I am going to try it on the mac. theoretically, the cloud won't care if it is a pc, a mac or a unix system, because it will handle the print jobs like a network print server. according to google, the mac will print via the cloud to any printer on the network. I will post my results when I am finished.

----------

Install this on the Windows machine and see if it helps. It did for me on one of my office machines.

Bonjour Print services for Windows

FYI:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.