TrackPad or MagicMouse? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Zav
macrumors member

TrackPad or MagicMouse?

Absolute no brainer. Having purchased the MagicMouse with my 2011 iMac I was happy using it until now. My girlfriend recently bought me the TrackPad and its far, far superior. It adds a whole new dimension to OSX, especially to Mountain Lion.

Multi-Touch gesters (once you've learned them all) make navigating around the OS a dream! You really feel like your getting things done in a productive way.

Zav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
maflynn

If you like the trackpad then go for it. I myself prefer the MagicMouse over the trackpad to the point when I travel with my MBP, I include the mouse as I do not like the track pad
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:24 AM   #3
theluggage
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zav View Post
My girlfriend recently bought me the TrackPad and its far, far superior. It adds a whole new dimension to OSX, especially to Mountain Lion.
My advice is that, if you're buying a nice new iMac and have the choice of either the (horrible*) Magic Mouse or the (interesting) Magic Trackpad thrown in then, yes, its a no-brainer to get the trackpad, if only to try - and if you don't get on with it, go to your friendly local computer store, choose a nice mouse of a size and weight that fits your hand for a fraction of the cost of the MM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
If you like the trackpad then go for it. I myself prefer the MagicMouse over the trackpad to the point when I travel with my MBP, I include the mouse as I do not like the track pad
I really like the Magic Trackpad for general use - especially if you enable the three-fingers-to-drag option.

However, I still prefer a mouse for gaming and precise graphics work, so I have both on the desk.

(* OK, some people actually like the Magic Mouse. Then again, I know someone who liked the iMac Hockey Puck abomination and even one strange person who liked Windows Vista...)
theluggage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #4
oldgeezer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluggage View Post

(* OK, some people actually like the Magic Mouse. Then again, I know someone who liked the iMac Hockey Puck abomination and even one strange person who liked Windows Vista...)
Anything but Windows Vista! One look at that abomination of an OS and I went out and bought my first iMac. Haven't looked back since.

I agree that the trackpad works best for general navigation and is particularly nice if you move back and forth from an Air, as I do. The gestures on the Magic Mouse just don't cut it. But for detailed photo editing - using a brush to correct a small area for example - a mouse beats a trackpad hands down.
oldgeezer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
glutenenvy
macrumors regular

[QUOTE=Zav;16644334] Having purchased the MagicMouse with my 2011 iMac I was happy using it until now./QUOTE]

Anything is better than the MagicMouse. A keyboard with broken curser keys is better. On the flip side the track pad Apple provides is well done. I cannot see why Apple even sells the MagicMouse unless it is for completing a multi-tiered marketing portfolio so the value of the track pad appears to be higher.
glutenenvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:27 PM   #6
theuserjohnny
macrumors 6502

I love the trackpad.

However I would just get a standard bluetooth mouse over a magic mouse if that's what you're looking for.
Google Nexus 4 16GB
theuserjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Bambooisland
macrumors newbie

I am fine with the trackpad as i do not have to carry an additional item with me for traveling.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8
phrehdd
macrumors 65816

I guess I am the odd man out - I have used for years the larger trackballs (Kensington). However, I was never a fan of the Magic Mouse as it was not comfortable in my hands and didn't quite feel at ease with a track pad. I have used both when there was no choice but again, at home - prefer the trackball as it is easy to use, and the only drawback is if you need to be very accurate in movement such as Photoshop. (Then again, a stylus is the best for that kind of work.)

For those of you who learned all the hand gestures, I am sure you are getting great utility out of the trackpad.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:19 AM   #9
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Personal preference. After dealing with lousy pc trackpads for years, I've never liked them. The pad on my MBP is the first one I don't mind using. Most of the time I use the magic mouse because I prefer a mouse. I also run with the case closed with an external monitor at home.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice