Espresso Enthusiasts - Page 131 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Today, 02:52 PM   #3251
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Indeed. I have an idea - just the merest notion - that I know what sort of matters, or topics, may be raised next….

Heh, heh, heh………the slippery path is smooth at the start…….and very, very inviting, let me add….

Let not the mere matter of financial lack have any influence whatsoever on the decision to purchase something as incredibly important as a grinder…...

"The Team" have a wonderfully optimistic and cheerfully spendthrift attitude to the acquisition of the good things in life; indeed, for this team, the purchase of an exceptionally good grinder is classed not as 'a good thing in life' but as a fundamental, and utterly imperative purchase.
Gee...when you put all the posts together as you have...this is a truly fiscally dangerous place!
Old Today, 03:01 PM   #3252
Kurwenal
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Or, if you want to go with a cheap one...
Question: is there a meaningful difference between the Mazzer and the TiN aftermarket burrs?

I assume you weigh out beans for each grind and put only those beans into the grinder? So (dumb question, I know) you do not weigh the PF after putting the coffee into it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
Just as I was wondering whether or not buying two grinders may have been too expensive, the $1500 K8 suddenly offered me 10% off. Both are now affordable!
Don't argue with Karma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
for this team, the purchase of an exceptionally good grinder is classed not as 'a good thing in life' but as a fundamental, and utterly imperative purchase.
Well.......yes. Of course.
Old Today, 03:08 PM   #3253
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurwenal View Post
Question: is there a meaningful difference between the Mazzer and the TiN aftermarket burrs?

I assume you weigh out beans for each grind and put only those beans into the grinder? So (dumb question, I know) you do not weigh the PF after putting the coffee into it?
I believe the TIN are the same 83mm Mazzer burrs with some kind of coating on them.

I do not weigh the PF after loading. Because I can totally clean the burrs in about 10 seconds, I can see the grinder retention and estimate the necessary adjustment in the weight of the input to get a 15.5gm output. I did the weigh the PF thing a couple of times, and my eyeball estimates are close enough (about +/- 0.02 grams)...
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #3254
Kurwenal
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I believe the TIN are the same 83mm Mazzer burrs with some kind of coating on them.

I do not weigh the PF after loading. Because I can totally clean the burrs in about 10 seconds, I can see the grinder retention and estimate the necessary adjustment in the weight of the input to get a 15.5gm output. I did the weigh the PF thing a couple of times, and my eyeball estimates are close enough (about +/- 0.02 grams)...close enough for jazz.
That's very interesting. I guess I've never thought about the process before.

So, to hit your 15.5, you grind, what, 17? Then lose 1.2-1.3 when you level and a bit more on retention? So I assume you weigh out 17 and dump all of that into the grinder?

What is the tumbler for?
Old Today, 03:24 PM   #3255
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurwenal View Post
That's very interesting. I guess I've never thought about the process before.

So, to hit your 15.5, you grind, what, 17? Then lose 1.2-1.3 when you level and a bit more on retention? So I assume you weigh out 17 and dump all of that into the grinder?

What is the tumbler for?
The weight of the bean input is totally dependent on the grinder retention...which is effected by blend, roast, and environmental conditions. The input weight ranges from 15.5 grams (zero retention) to about 18 grams. I've never done it, but the grinder will certainly hold 20 grams, if necessary.

The tumbler is a blind tumbler with a removable bottom. The Grinder drops the grinds straight into the tumbler. It's so direct that the grinds are very puffed up and fluffy, so I give the grinds a quick swish with a mini whisk to settle the grinds. The tumbler is then place on the PF (bottom is perfect fit), and the bottom is lifted out dropping the grinds into the basket. (The "handle" used to lift the bottom, and the tumbler with the bottom "out" can be seen in the picture below) It sounds like a lot more work than it is...the whisk and drop takes about 5 seconds.

Old Today, 03:43 PM   #3256
Kurwenal
macrumors Demi-God

Interesting. The retention in my Mazzers is very consistent (the type P retains about double what the type A retains), but I still feel compelled to weigh after leveling. I "eye-ball" (using a scoop of known volume) the beans into the grinder, and weigh after; you do just the opposite.

The truth is that if we both eye-balled everything, it almost certainly would not change a thing.....

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion