Preview and iPhone workflow issues - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
(L)SD
macrumors newbie

Preview and iPhone workflow issues

When i insert a SD card into the slot, select a photo, crop it, export it as A DIFFERENT NAME, it also crops the original PERMANENTLY! It won't allow me to 'revert', to the original, unless I remember to make a copy first, then eject the card completely before starting the crop or adjustment!!!! It just ruined (by compressing) the original sized, great photo.
Along with other annoyances with iPhoto, this is why I use Windows for any serious photo work.

Lion 10.7.2

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Removed profanity from the Title
(L)SD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
If you take your photo work seriously then i suggest you try a more robust workflow.

For example i choose to copy the memory card to a folder. Then any shots i think are worth more work i open in gimp or elements and first off save as a uncompressed tiff ( that way each time i save no detail os lost with compression).

When i am happy then i will, export a copy in format suited to its target audience (i.e.. jpg/png for web and tiff for competitions etc).

I have never tried to use iPhoto for more serious work ( don't think i trust a freebee app)

This is just my opinion of course, and what suits me may not suit others - just offering advice

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Nermal

This is a horrendously bad "feature" in 10.7 that was thankfully reverted in 10.8. Updating to 10.8 is the easiest solution (it prompts with a "do you want to save?" instead of just going ahead and doing it).
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

You should never, ever work off an SD card. And you should always keep a full-res original on your hard drive. That's why apps like iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom exist. You never ever touch the original file and just export files rendered form the full-res original image.

So I suggest you change your workflow and start using one of these apps.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:07 AM   #5
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

My question to you would be, why are you using Preview for "serious photo work". As Oreo has mentioned, even iPhoto is a much better photo management option, even if you don't like its editing features. I'd highly suggest changing your workflow with a dedicated photo management app like Aperture of Lightroom if you're dealing with a large amount of photos regardless if you're on a Mac or Windows. Using one would reduce the risk of similar issues down the road since they are none destructive.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:30 AM   #6
dendowling
macrumors newbie

Try, File->Restore Document... with your original image in Preview.

It will give you a Time-Machine view of your image with all the previous versions in a stack on the right side. Just click back through the stack to get your earliest version and hit Restore.

Should work as long as you open the original (edited) file on the original drive. Don't try Restore with a 'Saved As' version or a version you copied to another drive - it won't work. Open the one you first worked on then try Restore.

But, if you did this on the SD card it probably won't work if it's not a Mac formatted disc.

Generally, it's best to avoid editing files on a camera card - should always copy to the computer first. Also, try Lightroom: $120, or Aperture: $80 - not much for all the tools you get.

Last edited by dendowling; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:57 AM.
dendowling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:32 AM   #7
Chundles
macrumors G4

Serious photo work.

iPhoto and preview.

These things do not go together.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:12 AM   #8
MCAsan
macrumors 68020

If possible shoot raw ( lossless 12 or 14 bit) instead or jpeg (loss full 8 bit). Import images into Aperture or Lightroom. Use the program to make non-destructive edits to the original raw or a copy. If you need jpg for web or email export a copy of the edited photo.

If the camera only shoots jpg, edit a copy of the photo in Aperture or Lightroom. Keep an unedited copy.
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only

Last edited by MCAsan; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:18 AM.
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography