Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Hello

I'm going to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks time and would like to buy an iPad Mini while i'm there as they are so much cheaper than in the UK

Would anyone be able to confirm if you still have to reserve one? I have a feeling that i can't just turn up to a store and buy one, and that i have to be a HK resident

Cheers

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
many from Thailand will go to HK and buy a bunch.

I dont think HK people are very keen on apple device like Thais.

lawhochun

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Hong Kong

Lol you are utterly wrong. HK people are crazy on Apple products. (While iPhone5 is pretty much in stock in US, HK still require one week shipping time)

You wont be able to buy iPad mini just by turning up at the stores, the shipping time on the online store is still 2-weeks. The reserve system accepts any type of passports for idenitification, but its more likely u would win a lottery before u can successfully reserve one.

Good luck!

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
OK great, thanks

I'll just put my passport number in for the ID and hope i get lucky

I'm there for 3 days so will try each day the day before on the reservation system

Cheers

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London

Lol you are utterly wrong. HK people are crazy on Apple products. (While iPhone5 is pretty much in stock in US, HK still require one week shipping time)

You wont be able to buy iPad mini just by turning up at the stores, the shipping time on the online store is still 2-weeks. The reserve system accepts any type of passports for idenitification, but its more likely u would win a lottery before u can successfully reserve one.

Good luck!

Back to Pantip Plaza Racoon boy! 555!

babybanana

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Just wondering do you think it'll be like that throughout the Christmas period? I'm going there over the Christmas period too and coming back on the 9th Jan, Shall I still reserve one nevertheless?

lawhochun

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Hong Kong
Just wondering do you think it'll be like that throughout the Christmas period? I'm going there over the Christmas period too and coming back on the 9th Jan, Shall I still reserve one nevertheless?

I am not sure about iPad mini as there is no news saying production is catching up with demand, rather it seems to be having production constraints due to the display.

But you should try anyway, but please note that successful reservation require pick up on the next day at a particular allocated time slot.

billyctang

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
You won't be able to get one for the RRP of HK$2588. In shops like Fortress or Broadway, they have actually put the price up to about $3188. It'll mean it's not as cheap as you would have wanted. Stock is snapped up quickly and it's mainly because HK has so many tourists from mainland China. It means that buying new Apple products on or near their release is very very hard.

lawhochun

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Hong Kong
You won't be able to get one for the RRP of HK$2588. In shops like Fortress or Broadway, they have actually put the price up to about $3188. It'll mean it's not as cheap as you would have wanted. Stock is snapped up quickly and it's mainly because HK has so many tourists from mainland China. It means that buying new Apple products on or near their release is very very hard.

I think they are talking about getting it in brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, not resellers.

babybanana

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
UK
Thanks for the swift reply. I'll get one of my relatives up there to pick my mini up for me. Also regarding apple care is it a worldwide thing ? Would it be beneficial for me to get the apple care in HK or UK? I'm usually very careful with my gadgets and won't be chucking this around the house.

Rob C

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Still having to reserve one here in HK... Though the reservation thing never seems to work, a few people i know as-well as myself have been trying for a few weeks now and have had no luck.
I spoke to the Business Center at Apple and asked if the page actually worked, apparently it does, but sooo many people apply to reserve!

I'm "hoping" that the queue wont be huge for the new Causeway Bay store on Friday morning, and i may be able to grab one (I live opposite!!)... We will see!!

If you have relatives here the best idea would be to order one from the Apple website, 2 week delivery but at least you will guarunteed one, and AppleCare is WorldWide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.