Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaimi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
That's going to be pretty low DPI for use as a desktop monitor. For less money you can get the 24" Ultrasharp which is smaller but much higher DPI (94.3 vs 68.8). The Ultrasharp is also an IPS display which means better colors and viewing angles.

If you want a large screen for watching TV/Movies from a few feet away then a TV might be a good choice. If you want to use it up close at your desk then I would look for something better suited to that task.

The sceptre looks great to me. Colors are good, and the viewing angles are excellent - can see it from all angles, even right at the side. I don't think the DPI matters as much as some make it out. I sit about 20" from it without problems all day every day. Still, I would replace it with a "retina" type display of the same size if I could. And if I didn't care about spending 1000 dollars more.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Is it only for your MBP?
Or do you use it for other things?

I have the LG E2370v which comes with 2 HDMI, D-sub, and DVI.
Got my MBP, PS3 and couple other things hooked up.

Yeah, just for my MacBook Pro. Want a bigger screen, mainly due to eyesight but I watch movies from iTunes and Netflix on it all day long. :D

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
take a look at the asus pa248q. I recently did the same thing you want op and after doing some research I went with it from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DWH00K/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00
if you buy it with the option that is sold directly from amazon there is a $20 rebate. I caught mine on sale for $309 and with rebate only $289. it is IPS, and has USB 3.0 ports along with display port and an hdmi connection. look up the reviews on it,

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-pa248q-p13430/test.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/asus-pa248q/4505-3174_7-35404261.html

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
ATD all the way. Once you see the benefits of using a single Thunderbolt cable and it's supplied power adapter, you will never think about other solutions. On top of that you get a full USB Hub (albeit USB2.0), Gigabit ethernet port and built in speakers.

A lot of people forget about the added benefit of an ATD.

Also these things keep their resale value, you can definitely get your moneys worth in the future.

On top of that, the design. It's a beautiful piece of hardware well worth the investment.

+ The build quality is just leagues better than everything else out there.

- The built in speakers are total garbage, and there's no audio-out, so you have to buy a USB DAC. But even a $40 USB DAC sounds much better than your onboard sound card.

---

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
+ The build quality is just leagues better than everything else out there.

- The built in speakers are total garbage, and there's no audio-out, so you have to buy a USB DAC. But even a $40 USB DAC sounds much better than your onboard sound card.

---

Yes, the speakers aren't the best, but it's not the worst. I use Bose speakers (not my favorite, their sound is very "saturated). But if you don't care about audio quality and don't want speakers to take up space on your desktop, then the speakers are not the worst in the ACDs.

bonedaddio

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
PA, USA
YaH! Dell UltraSharp 30"

Dell Ultrasharp 30". That is what I have and it is fantastic.
That's what I'm using. I drive it with a later 2011 MBP 15", and it's truly a wonderful place to work. I've become a monitor pig... a new 27" iMac is on the way, and I'll use the Dell 30" as an outboard display... you can never be too thin, too rich, or have too much desktop space. (All I'll have is the space... oh well!)
Just my $.02
Also, for the money, the Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors are really great too, my wife uses one.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
People always spend imaginary wallets on this forum. It's the only con of owning an Apple product, dealing with the upper class idealists. Sure the Thunderbolt Display is the ideal "no holds barred" display to have. However, real people live in a world with budgets. I would rather have a Dell Ultrasharp and an iPad than a Thunderbolt display and 0$ in my bank account.

My vote goes to the Dell UltraSharp. In many ways, it's a non-Apple equivalent of an Apple display quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.