Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
I have wondered this myself, today I am going to get the mini 32GB Cell and I will let you know what I think. I tried going the wifi hotspot route before but the problem with this is that it drains my phone's battery very fast which is a turnoff and it already has a huge screen to power. I also kind of like having a GPS in a tablet. I have a Galaxy Tab and the GPS is nice for knowing where your exact location is.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
In your rush to be insulting (everyone but you was fooled and you're the only one who can do math), you ignored the fact that someone who was getting a cellular iPad anyway and putting it on their Mobile Share plan saves $100.

That's my point. AT&T is charging u $10/month just for the right to share your own data while they tell u to tether for free.

Most people carry their smartphones that can tether with the wifi iPad 99% of the time.

You are getting yourself tied into 24 months mandatory fees just to save $100 but spending $240.

Essentially you are doing math like the US congressmen and women when figuring out the budget. More is coming out of your pocket than coming in.

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
That's my point. AT&T is charging u $10/month just for the right to share your own data while they tell u to tether for free.

Most people carry their smartphones that can tether with the wifi iPad 99% of the time.

You are getting yourself tied into 24 months mandatory fees just to save $100 but spending $240.

Essentially you are doing math like the US congressmen and women when figuring out the budget. More is coming out of your pocket than coming in.

If you're going to spend the money in the first place is it really a loss? Just saying. The data share plans are kind of a ripoff- but I mean if he's going to buy cellular access anyway why is it a ripoff?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Here in London it has definitely been worth it for me but I'm not subject to any kind of extended contract here.

Of course I can generally use free WiFi here, but also have a £20 sim with 3gb that's good for 3 months.

So yeah, to make this an always-connected device was worth the price to me. :):apple:

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
The AT&T plan doesn't work for you and your situation. So, you pull 'Most' and '99%' out of thin air and come to the conclusion that everyone who has a different situation is being fooled and doesn't know math. :rolleyes:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Problem in the USA is prepaid data "teaser" plans like the $15/250mb AT&T iPad data plan is ridiculous.

We all know LTE is cheaper for carriers to maintain. They could easily offer a 1GB prepaid data plan for $10-15 and still make a hefty profit.

You have to jump to a $30/month USD to get 3Gb data. And that's on purpose by AT&T to have that option.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The AT&T plan doesn't work for you and your situation. So, you pull 'Most' and '99%' out of thin air and come to the conclusion that everyone who has a different situation is being fooled and doesn't know math. :rolleyes:

Look. I think we will just agree that we both disagree with each other and be done with it.

If its good for you than so be it.

Just saying ATT obviously seems a very low sign up rate for their $10/tablet add on with mobile sharing. That's the only reason they even have this $100 promo credit with 2 year agreement.

"Subsidized tablet" pricing has been an utter failure in the USA. Pretty much everyone will agree on that matter.

People are already being raped for mobile data and the last thing they want is to pay for data they already paid for just to have an add on tablet cellular data.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
When I had my ipad I really only used it at home and didn't need cellular service. With my mini I knew I would be taking it places and cellular is a must.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Look. I think we will just agree that we both disagree with each other and be done with it.

If its good for you than so be it.

Just saying ATT obviously seems a very low sign up rate for their $10/tablet add on with mobile sharing. That's the only reason they even have this $100 promo credit with 2 year agreement.

"Subsidized tablet" pricing has been an utter failure in the USA. Pretty much everyone will agree on that matter.

People are already being raped for mobile data and the last thing they want is to pay for data they already paid for just to have an add on tablet cellular data.
It's got nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing since I was not asking you to agree with anything.

Some people are not content with explaining why they made the decision they did. They have to insult those who came to a different conclusion for what works best for them.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Love how AT&T and other carriers fool consumers with gimmicks like $100 "off" with 2 year commitment.

$10 x 24 months equals $240 in guaranteed revenue for AT&T.
Minus $100 credit. So $140 profit for AT&T and waste nothing in terms of giving u any more data since u are "sharing data" you already pay for.

Most people with mobile sharing already have a hotspot enabled smartphone to tether for free to wifi iPad device for free.

I guess it helps people who want to save on their battery life with their phones not to tether.

Carriers count on consumers not being able to do correct math with their promos.

I did the math. It was either pay full price of $559 and then the $240 for 2 years or just pay $459 and then pay the $240. Either way, my device was going to be connected every month during those 2 years.

I have a tethering enabled device, but I decided I'd rather not have to rely on my phone to get a connection. On top of that, I do not use public Wi-Fi for any type of connections so I prefer the security of using an LTE enabled device.

I wasn't fooled at all. I did the math and I can afford it, so I don't see any issue. I do however agree that paying to use my same pool of data is a bit ridiculous, but that's how these carriers work. And honestly, I'd much rather pay the $10 a month to use my 10 GB's of data versus paying $30 a month for 3 GB's.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
iPad with cellular is ok for me but I don't use it very often because I have grandfather unlimited data plan on my iPhone :apple:

same.

i bought an LTE model not b/c i wanted to pay to constantly have an LTE plan activated on the iPad, but rather i wanted the option to.

i have an iPhone 4S, jailbroken, grandfathered unlimited plan. i milk it every month (i use ~6GB per month). most of the time when i am out and about i tether my iPad to my iPhone 4S.

however for long trips in the car or when i need a mobile connection faster than the 3G on my iPhone 4S, i will activate the LTE plan on the iPad. also, the hotspot on the iPad LTE lasts MUCH longer than on my iPhone so when i know i won't have access to an outlet for a while i will activate LTE for that month.

most here are talking about the Mini though, i bought an iPad 3, 64GB LTE-Verizon refurb for $679

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Wifi only. I don't use my ipad outside the house often and if I do I use free hotspots. No sense for me to waste any extra money.

Signor S.

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
I bought a wifi iPad, the reason being I am always in a location with wifi. i mainly use it at home and school so it was the logical choice for me.

Now if you use it outside your home and workplace I would say cellular would be the way to go as you could better future proof it as the years go on when you use it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
While I have a monthly plan, I also got the LTE version to use it as a GPS device in the car. There's apps you can use that don't require a connection which won't use data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.