Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
California
I moved my itunes folder from my hard drive to an external drive. But every time I turn my Imac on the file path shows that it is reading from my MAC HD user/*name*/music folder again. What'S the deal with that???

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I moved my itunes folder from my hard drive to an external drive. But every time I turn my Imac on the file path shows that it is reading from my MAC HD user/*name*/music folder again. What'S the deal with that???
Did you change the location to the external drive in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

Before opening iTunes, make sure your external drive is recognized by your computer. If iTunes cannot immediately handshake with your external drive, it can default back to the local drive.

I have my media on my NAS. I had a similar situation long ago. I ended up setting up my system to recognize the NAS locally upon boot up. Problem solved. Before that, I would wait for the NAS to show up then click on the icon to "wake it up" and that also solved the problem back when.

One other thing - When I moved my media to my NAS I had a couple of options to consider to finish the process - either "add to library" the NAS media directories and in iTunes, delete references to the local drive listings or do an add to library AFTER I removed within iTunes the iTunes db files etc. (starting empty so to speak). I find that starting fresh, though it takes time to populate was the best bet as there was no chance for duplicate listings in iTunes. In short, I moved the files to NAS. Set up iTunes pref to not move files added, then deleted (or you can rename) the contents of iTunes to force it to generate new db files etc, then added the external media files to iTunes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes. A few times now.

As phrehdd indicated, if your external drive isn't mounted at the time you launch iTunes, it can't find your media folder, so it creates one on your local drive and changes your preferences to point to the media folder that it can find.

Spute

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
California
Before opening iTunes, make sure your external drive is recognized by your computer. If iTunes cannot immediately handshake with your external drive, it can default back to the local drive.

I have my media on my NAS. I had a similar situation long ago. I ended up setting up my system to recognize the NAS locally upon boot up. Problem solved. Before that, I would wait for the NAS to show up then click on the icon to "wake it up" and that also solved the problem back when.

One other thing - When I moved my media to my NAS I had a couple of options to consider to finish the process - either "add to library" the NAS media directories and in iTunes, delete references to the local drive listings or do an add to library AFTER I removed within iTunes the iTunes db files etc. (starting empty so to speak). I find that starting fresh, though it takes time to populate was the best bet as there was no chance for duplicate listings in iTunes. In short, I moved the files to NAS. Set up iTunes pref to not move files added, then deleted (or you can rename) the contents of iTunes to force it to generate new db files etc, then added the external media files to iTunes.

As best I can tell, it is recognized. It is always showing under "SHARED" in finder view. This particular drive is connected to my Aiport Extreme if you think that might have something to do with this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.