Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bawuva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I received my refurb 27" iMac earlier this week - looks brand new but I didn't get any of the free upgrades others have received (just had the 4GB of RAM).

I ordered 4 x 8 GB Crucial RAM for a total of 32GB. I just installed all four and when I tried to turn the computer on it just sat there. Any idea what might be wrong? I used the Crucial website and entered "mid 2011 27inch iMac" so assume I was set RAM that is compatible. The iMac seems to say it will only allow a max of 16GB but seems like I've read that 32GB is fine. Any ideas?

----------

I just tried to put back the original 4GB of RAM and now when I try and turn it on it just makes some loud beeping sounds. Am I installing this incorrectly? Maybe I haven't pushed hard enough and they are not set in there all the way?

Last edited:

bawuva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Fixed It

UPDATE: I didn't have them pushed in far enough. Installed 32GB correctly this time and I'm good to go :)

seigaroo

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
I bought and installed the same ram but when my imac goes to sleep, screen stays black when I try and wake it. Everything else seems to be running fine except for not coming back on once asleep. Do you have any issue with this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.