Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abby9040

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Im having problems with my Macbook Pro and right now all I get on it is Utility. I erased my Macintosh HD and Lion wont install. Even though Macintosh HD is there any way I can erase ALL personal data from my laptop before getting it repaired? Will setting the erase to the 7 step erase everything? I'm going to be taking it to Apple to get repaired and I want to make sure they have no access to anything on my hard drive. Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Im having problems with my Macbook Pro and right now all I get on it is Utility. I erased my Macintosh HD and Lion wont install. Even though Macintosh HD is there any way I can erase ALL personal data from my laptop before getting it repaired? Will setting the erase to the 7 step erase everything? I'm going to be taking it to Apple to get repaired and I want to make sure they have no access to anything on my hard drive. Thanks!
Apple isn't going to go looking through your data. They don't have the time or the interest. They just want to fix your Mac and move on to the next customer. You don't have to worry about it.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Apple isn't going to go looking through your data. They don't have the time or the interest. They just want to fix your Mac and move on to the next customer. You don't have to worry about it.
I wish this were true. However, as Apple is made up of individual employees there are bad eggs. Gizmodo reported on several Apple stores looking through consumers' laptops for inappropriate and revealing images. There was an instance where they found a girl naked doing a handstand. This image was then emailed across staff. This all went down in Apple retail stores where there's a consumer front. I'd hate to see the mailing repair centers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.