Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1
kappaknight
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Firefox in Mavericks. WOW?!

I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but did Apple fix the memory management/allocation for apps like Firefox?

I used to see 80-100% CPU usage in ML, but so far, it's staying between 3-6.5% even with about 30+ tabs open.

Great stuff so far!
kappaknight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Septillion
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but did Apple fix the memory management/allocation for apps like Firefox?

I used to see 80-100% CPU usage in ML, but so far, it's staying between 3-6.5% even with about 30+ tabs open.

Great stuff so far!
Did App Nap work? Mavericks will turn down the CPU usage of background apps. BTW, I never use Firefox on my Mac. Safari is always the best choice.
Septillion is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 07:19 AM   #3
rayhigh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septillion View Post
Did App Nap work? Mavericks will turn down the CPU usage of background apps. BTW, I never use Firefox on my Mac. Safari is always the best choice.
In YOUR opinion. Firefox is far more extensible and customizable than Safari.
rayhigh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 07:27 AM   #4
five04
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to five04
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
In YOUR opinion. Firefox is far more extensible and customizable than Safari.
That and tab management is awful in Safari.
five04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 07:32 AM   #5
rayhigh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by five04 View Post
That and tab management is awful in Safari.
Agreed. I also can't live without session manager, etc.
rayhigh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septillion View Post
Did App Nap work? Mavericks will turn down the CPU usage of background apps. BTW, I never use Firefox on my Mac. Safari is always the best choice.
OK, if Safari is the best choice, then tell me how i can see the encryption strength for https sites in Safari!?
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Risco
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
In YOUR opinion. Firefox is far more extensible and customizable than Safari.
Firefox was great, now it has become too bloated. Plus it does not integrate as well as windows. Things such as zooming, scrolling etc are not even half as good as Safari. Then there is the issue with slowdown on complicated pages and lack of full HTML 5 support.

There are bugs open for all of this, which I am watching and offering to test. Also I have been using and testing Firefox since Firebird 0.6 so I know what I am talking about.
Risco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:21 AM   #8
rayhigh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Firefox was great, now it has become too bloated. Plus it does not integrate as well as windows. Things such as zooming, scrolling etc are not even half as good as Safari. Then there is the issue with slowdown on complicated pages and lack of full HTML 5 support.

There are bugs open for all of this, which I am watching and offering to test. Also I have been using and testing Firefox since Firebird 0.6 so I know what I am talking about.
The fact that you've been using it since 0.6 is supposed to impress me? That's like when I tell people I've had a usenet account since 1987. No one gives a rats.

Firefox went through a rough patch that lasted 6 to 9 months a couple years back, as I recall. Since then, it is back to its stable self. I haven't had a problem with it in quite some time. I vastly prefer it to Safari or chrome.

Last edited by stridemat; Oct 6, 2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
rayhigh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 02:39 PM   #9
rev.b
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but did Apple fix the memory management/allocation for apps like Firefox?

I used to see 80-100% CPU usage in ML, but so far, it's staying between 3-6.5% even with about 30+ tabs open.

Great stuff so far!
I use firefox, so I checked, and you're right. Firefox CPU usage is roughly half of it used to be with DP8.

Not complaining.
rev.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
thedeske
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
I vastly prefer it to Safari or chrome.
Agree - add blocker loves Firefox
thedeske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 03:52 PM   #11
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a
 
BenTrovato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.b View Post
I use firefox, so I checked, and you're right. Firefox CPU usage is roughly half of it used to be with DP8.

Not complaining.
Finally! Looking forward to Mavericks a little bit more now
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2013, 03:55 PM   #12
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
OK, if Safari is the best choice, then tell me how i can see the encryption strength for https sites in Safari!?
By clicking on the gray https () next to the rest of the address and clicking on show certificate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 4.53.53 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	438693  
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
••• SandboxGeneral.com •••
SandboxGeneral is offline   5 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mavericks / Bootcamp 5 / Win 7 64-bit, then Clone 10.6.8 over Mavericks townsend2005 Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 10 May 13, 2014 08:05 AM
Resolved: Firefox Mavericks Blog Problem msmollynd OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Nov 20, 2013 11:10 AM
How's WoW performance on Mavericks? powersurge OS X Mavericks (10.9) 3 Oct 23, 2013 05:12 PM
Mavericks is FREE?!!? Wow! kappaknight OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Oct 22, 2013 12:26 PM
Wow - Mavericks makes a huge difference to encoding! Risco OS X Mavericks (10.9) 3 Jun 15, 2013 05:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC