Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:11 AM   #1201
vrDrew
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
And Downton Abbey- sometimes I'm amazed at how much emotion they can ring out of this story. Next week is the Season 5 final!
As good as Downton Abbey was in its first few seasons, don't you think the storyline has jumped the shark at this point?

Does Julian Fellowes have some sort of sadistic bent towards Mr & Mrs Bates? Does it really seem plausible that the Metropolitan Police would be investigating the traffic death of a rapist/butler more thoroughly than the Warren Commission looked into events in Dallas?

How stupid do we have to believe Lord Grantham is, to have taken this long to finally twig to the fact that his middle daughter is paying an awful lot of attention to a random orphan toddler?

Don't get me wrong, Downton Abbey is still good television. But IMHO they should have let the story end with the death of Matthew Crawley. And saved up all their creative energy to do a reboot set in 1943, when the family is thrown (again) into turmoil when 2nd Lt George Crawley (the presumptive heir) is killed at Anzio? Or better yet, set in 1948 when - with income tax at 19/6 in the Pound the family finances finally crumble beneath the inexorable tide of history?
vrDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:43 AM   #1202
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
As good as Downton Abbey was in its first few seasons, don't you think the storyline has jumped the shark at this point?

Does Julian Fellowes have some sort of sadistic bent towards Mr & Mrs Bates? Does it really seem plausible that the Metropolitan Police would be investigating the traffic death of a rapist/butler more thoroughly than the Warren Commission looked into events in Dallas?

How stupid do we have to believe Lord Grantham is, to have taken this long to finally twig to the fact that his middle daughter is paying an awful lot of attention to a random orphan toddler?

Don't get me wrong, Downton Abbey is still good television. But IMHO they should have let the story end with the death of Matthew Crawley. And saved up all their creative energy to do a reboot set in 1943, when the family is thrown (again) into turmoil when 2nd Lt George Crawley (the presumptive heir) is killed at Anzio? Or better yet, set in 1948 when - with income tax at 19/6 in the Pound the family finances finally crumble beneath the inexorable tide of history?
I'm not going to argue because you are right on many points except nothing ridiculous has yet happened. The story was admittedly dragging a bit until I found interest in the most recent episode.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:58 AM   #1203
FieldingMellish
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I enjoyed earlier Downton Abby episodes more for my utter enchantment upon discovery of it using what was a new PBS app. I was a little dismayed how quickly the years progressed with each season. While some story lines have gone tedious, others have surprised, and there remains consistent subtle character interactions that lend a sense of familial familiarity. Not unlike radically different shows many loved such as The Wire characters.
FieldingMellish is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 06:28 AM   #1204
vrDrew
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
The story was admittedly dragging a bit until I found interest in the most recent episode.
There is still a lot that is very good and enjoyable about Downton Abbey.

It was quite refreshing to, for instance, to see another side of Thomas. Who knew that he was so wise to the ways of crooked London gambling clubs?

But I can't quite get away from the suspicion that Lady Rose MacClare (soon-to-be Aldridge) is really the Cousin Oliver of the Crawley clan?
vrDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2015, 07:33 AM   #1205
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
And Downton Abbey- sometimes I'm amazed at how much emotion they can ring out of this story. Next week is the Season 5 final!
Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
As good as Downton Abbey was in its first few seasons, don't you think the storyline has jumped the shark at this point?

Does Julian Fellowes have some sort of sadistic bent towards Mr & Mrs Bates? Does it really seem plausible that the Metropolitan Police would be investigating the traffic death of a rapist/butler more thoroughly than the Warren Commission looked into events in Dallas?

How stupid do we have to believe Lord Grantham is, to have taken this long to finally twig to the fact that his middle daughter is paying an awful lot of attention to a random orphan toddler?

Don't get me wrong, Downton Abbey is still good television. But IMHO they should have let the story end with the death of Matthew Crawley. And saved up all their creative energy to do a reboot set in 1943, when the family is thrown (again) into turmoil when 2nd Lt George Crawley (the presumptive heir) is killed at Anzio? Or better yet, set in 1948 when - with income tax at 19/6 in the Pound the family finances finally crumble beneath the inexorable tide of history?
I'm laughing at your post because much of what you have written is spot on, and - broadly speaking - I find myself in agreement with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I'm not going to argue because you are right on many points except nothing ridiculous has yet happened. The story was admittedly dragging a bit until I found interest in the most recent episode.
The thing about Downton Abbey is that it is not history, and is not even seriously credible as such, and nor does it really pretend to be. It is entertainment - and superbly done, because it has managed to successfully fuse a few genres which are each, individually, staples of classic British entertainment.

It has taken the 'country house' setting (usually found in Agatha Christie type stories), the elements of dramas that focussed on class and social and political change (such as the old 'Upstairs Downstairs'), period dramas (none do them better than British television), soap opera story lines, a stellar cast who are clearly enjoying the ensemble element of the series, as you find in theatre or soap opera, a bottomless budget so that the settings and trappings are a flawless feats for the eyes, and added some decently interesting story lines and character arcs, and fused the lot together. How can it not work, then?



Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
I enjoyed earlier Downton Abby episodes more for my utter enchantment upon discovery of it using what was a new PBS app. I was a little dismayed how quickly the years progressed with each season. While some story lines have gone tedious, others have surprised, and there remains consistent subtle character interactions that lend a sense of familial familiarity. Not unlike radically different shows many loved such as The Wire characters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
There is still a lot that is very good and enjoyable about Downton Abbey.

It was quite refreshing to, for instance, to see another side of Thomas. Who knew that he was so wise to the ways of crooked London gambling clubs?

But I can't quite get away from the suspicion that Lady Rose MacClare (soon-to-be Aldridge) is really the Cousin Oliver of the Crawley clan?
No, I suspect that she answers a different need: With the three sisters more or less accounted for in the marital sense (although Lady Mary's ongoing saga with brand new suitors is a recurring theme), one had to introduce a fresh-faced young girl to showcase the whole courtship stuff in the postwar world - contrasting that with the original pre World War 1 setting of the first series.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:10 AM   #1206
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Five episodes into House of Cards US version, Season 1. Pretty darn good. There is an acting expertise difference between this and something like Helix or The Last Ship.
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #1207
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Downton Abbey- Season Five finale, a calm ending to the season, and I'm satisfied, however if you want to describe it as a resolution for the Bates, it was muddled and I won't be happy if the writers insist on dragging it out for another season
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #1208
takao
macrumors 68040
 
takao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dornbirn/Innsbruck (Austria)
Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Five episodes into House of Cards US version, Season 1. Pretty darn good. There is an acting expertise difference between this and something like Helix or The Last Ship.
haha that's like calling the difference between the premier league and me trying to kick the ball in the backyard a "playing expertise difference"

Helix & the last ship are quite entertaining but sure are miles away in terms of acting and cinematography.

Just a few months when after watching an episode of "Extant" after an episode of "halt and catch fire". The difference was hilarious.
Just like other series like mad men, the americans etc. also make watching some other series difficult right afterwards.
__________________
Support Wikileaks
takao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #1209
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Downton Abbey- Season Five finale, a calm ending to the season, and I'm satisfied, however if you want to describe it as a resolution for the Bates, it was muddled and I won't be happy if the writers insist on dragging it out for another season
But how can you see them not doing exactly that? The temptation to do so will be well nigh irresistible.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #1210
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
haha that's like calling the difference between the premier league and me trying to kick the ball in the backyard a "playing expertise difference"

Helix & the last ship are quite entertaining but sure are miles away in terms of acting and cinematography.

Just a few months when after watching an episode of "Extant" after an episode of "halt and catch fire". The difference was hilarious.
Just like other series like mad men, the americans etc. also make watching some other series difficult right afterwards.
Agreed!
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #1211
Huntn
Thread Starter
macrumors G3
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
But how can you see them not doing exactly that? The temptation to do so will be well nigh irresistible.
It could be realistic, but it would make for bad TV. I think followers of the series are ready to move on to the next plot point, not dragging this out any further. Any idea of how far the next season will jump ahead?
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM   #1212
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
It could be realistic, but it would make for bad TV. I think followers of the series are ready to move on to the next plot point, not dragging this out any further. Any idea of how far the next season will jump ahead?
They'll have to find a way to give it some resolution as it has been a feature of the series for the past two seasons.

Re the timeline and when the next season will be set, as of now, I have no idea, but I imagine that it will leap forward in time perhaps as much as a year. Series Five took the show to December 1924.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #1213
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Five episodes into House of Cards US version, Season 1. Pretty darn good. There is an acting expertise difference between this and something like Helix or The Last Ship.
For the first 4ish episodes of HoC, I had no idea what was going on, or what the point of the show was. But it was around then, maybe the 5th or 6th episode, that it finally came together for me. And man, it's been a crazy ride since.

I just started Season 3, and at this pace, I'll probably be done with it by the end of the week. The first two seasons more or less followed the general story of the original BBC series, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how close/far this one goes.
__________________
Manny: I want to be homeschooled.
Gloria: Really, Manny? Do you want me to learn you English?
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
television, television shows

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC