Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hi,

Is it normal that push notifications on the iPad Mini Wifi are delayed? Sometimes for several minutes compared to the iPhone.

I've also noticed that when the iPad is locked and I press the home button, the WIFI connection is not there. It takes about 1 second till it appears.

It seems that while the iPad is locked, it has no constant Wifi connection but only connects in intervals to see if there are any notifications.
While the iPad is plugged in, on the other hand, it has a constant connection to the Wifi.

Anybody else experiencing this?

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Hi,

Is it normal that push notifications on the iPad Mini Wifi are delayed? Sometimes for several minutes compared to the iPhone.

I've also noticed that when the iPad is locked and I press the home button, the WIFI connection is not there. It takes about 1 second till it appears.

It seems that while the iPad is locked, it has no constant Wifi connection but only connects in intervals to see if there are any notifications.
While the iPad is plugged in, on the other hand, it has a constant connection to the Wifi.

Anybody else experiencing this?

I've noticed that push notifications have been a little spotty on my iPad Mini as well. Sometimes they don't even show up, and iMessage seems to be doing the same thing. Doesn't bother me too much because I use my phone for messaging more than my iPad, but I could see where it can be an issue for some.

The WIFI connection is pretty normal. Most iOS devices deactivate WIFI when they're in sleep mode to save battery power.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The WIFI connection is pretty normal. Most iOS devices deactivate WIFI when they're in sleep mode to save battery power.

Not true. On all my iPads, the wifi connection has been persistent, and notifications will come in even if the screen has been off for hours.

If its not persistent, do a Network Reset on the iPad. When I first received my iPad mini, I has the same issue (non-persistent wifi when the screen was asleep). Network Reset fixed it. Note that you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords. Nothing else is erased.

*the iPhone 5 seems, so far, to be the exception in that it turns wifi off - or at least stops displaying the wifi icon - when asleep as I can see it pop back "on" upon waking the phone. However, all iPads and the iPhone 4/4S should have persistent wifi.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Not true. On all my iPads, the wifi connection has been persistent, and notifications will come in even if the screen has been off for hours.

If its not persistent, do a Network Reset on the iPad. When I first received my iPad mini, I has the same issue (non-persistent wifi when the screen was asleep). Network Reset fixed it. Note that you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords. Nothing else is erased.

*the iPhone 5 seems, so far, to be the exception in that it turns wifi off - or at least stops displaying the wifi icon - when asleep as I can see it pop back "on" upon waking the phone. However, all iPads and the iPhone 4/4S should have persistent wifi.

I've already done several network resets with no results. Are you sure your iPads are Wifi only?

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I get the same issue with my iPad Mini, a couple minutes delayed compared to my iPad, but my iPad is on iOS 6.1b4 and the Mini's on 6.0.2 so might be something to do with that.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I've solved the issue now. Resetting the network settings didn't help but what helped is even simpler: turning off the iPad and on again. :)

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I've noticed that my iPad mini gets push notifications a couple seconds faster than my iPhone when they are on the same network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.