Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:43 AM   #26
blasto2236
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
What if you want to watch a movie that was just released to video ? Does Max say pfft . Netflix is great for older content but not good for newer content (especially movies). I love Netflix but would rather have them spending their money on content instead of Max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
Ehh, instead I think Netflix should be working on getting licenses for more movies and TV shows.
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? I highly doubt Netlfix works on only one thing at a time, and their programmers are not responsible for getting content licenses. There are some legitimate criticisms of the service in this thread. These are not those legitimate criticisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Exactly. This is skeuomorphism at its worst.
Does anyone actually like having fake "conversations" with these "virtual assistants"? For movies and TV shows, using websites like Jinni sounds way more effective without all the annoying interface.
I don't think you know what skeuomorphism means.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:49 AM   #27
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
Is that you, Clippy?
Really, the best comment here.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto2236 View Post

I don't think you know what skeuomorphism means.
Clearly. I think this is about to be one of the most overused words in tech. It'll be like "robust."

I'm not interested in this feature. I don't think I need help finding content on Netflix. I need help sifting through some terrible watch instantly crap.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:17 AM   #28
stompy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Is that you, Clippy?
The demo is basically an impersonation of You Don't Know Jack. A vile and wretched impersonation, but you can't blame a geek for trying. No, I take that back: you can.
stompy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:54 AM   #29
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Is that you, Clippy?
It looks like you are making a joke, good start. Would you like help with more?
neuropsychguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:57 PM   #30
garya73
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ehh, instead I think Netflix should be working on getting licenses for more movies and TV shows.
Agreed. Let's start with all the content they lost earlier this year. I was going to subscribe, but after they gave up 1,400 titles, no thanks.
garya73 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:03 AM   #31
RobNYC
macrumors regular

Has this thing even rolled out yet on the PS3? I haven't seen it show up on mine.
RobNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:33 PM   #32
bwillwall
macrumors 6502a

Is it really necessary for the thing to talk? Let alone having it talk like THAT in being so goofy and conversational. I mean, it's just sort of like a childish game version of iTunes genius. That being said I would likely try this if it comes out for iOS as I often don't know what to choose when browsing Netflix.
bwillwall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:20 PM   #33
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

I love the idea of suggestions based on mood. That's something I wish Pandora (and all the Pandora-esque alternatives) offered. That's especially useful in my house, where we watch some kiddie shows for my 2-year old but don't really want those to form all the Netflix suggestions for us later.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:18 AM   #34
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

This was painful to watch. Besides Netflix already gives you recommendations in a more elegant way.

What's the point?
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:55 AM   #35
dragje
macrumors 6502

The only think Netflix lacks, is a decent amount of 'good' movies.
dragje is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:41 AM   #36
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Quote:
LOL! Netflix thinks your gay hahaha!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Exactly. This is skeuomorphism at its worst.
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:39 AM   #37
tokyopunk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
What if you want to watch a movie that was just released to video ? Does Max say pfft . Netflix is great for older content but not good for newer content (especially movies). I love Netflix but would rather have them spending their money on content instead of Max.
no logic in the first part of your comment. If you know what you want to watch, then select what you want to watch instead of using Max. You do understand its a recommendation engine for those that need a little help with their selection.
I do agree their content sucks in SUPER ways.
tokyopunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:21 PM   #38
dernhelm
macrumors 68000

I must be in the Netflix target audience, because I can almost always find something I'd like to watch. Some shows I like (Castle) simply aren't available for streaming, but I can get the DVDs for those as I need. I do get there would be a lot of people who aren't into the things I like, and may find Netflix wanting for content, but honestly, just don't subscribe to Netflix in that case. I'm sure they'd love to have everything available for everyone, but corporate greed on the part of the networks is probably the biggest issue in that regard.

In so far as Max is concerned, I'll probably try it pretty soon (we watch Netflix thorough a PS3 onto our big screen TV downstairs). It looks fun for those days when you want to watch something new on Netflix, but you just don't know what to try.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:53 PM   #39
cioapps
macrumors newbie

I can actually see this working. Even if its a simple "tag"ged system and not crazy algorithms it could work. Example is something like the movie Jaws, I can see 50 tags that would help me find it..
cioapps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:51 PM   #40
marty1980
macrumors member

Since 2012!?!

I've had Max on my PS3's Netflix since early 2012.

I've tried using a couple times, but really I find it quicker and easier to just browse the categories I'm in the mood for.

Max will give you a choose this or that and go from there based on your previous watching. It's okay, but your forced to choose from what you're presented with.

So if Max suggests Action or Drama and you're in the mood for a comedy; you're out of luck unless you start over and he gives you that option.

I haven't used Max in a few months, so they may have changed this. I doubt it, though. It's probably the same.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:00 PM   #41
KTF
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Netflix today announced the release of Max, a personal content assistant and guide that the company calls the "child of Siri and HAL 9000." Max is designed to help users choose movies and television shows to view, and he does so using personal tastes.

Max asks a user questions about mood and movie viewing preferences in order to come up with a suggestion. He also uses Netflix's algorithms to predict content that a particular user might enjoy and plays a number of "games" to make selections.

YouTube: video
While Max is currently only available as a beta for PlayStation 3 users, Netflix says that if the experiment turns out to be successful, Max will be available on other devices in the future, "likely the iPad next."

Article Link: Netflix Debuts New Conversational Content Guide 'Max' for PS3, Coming to iPad Next
netflix content it's a joke pure crap!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion