Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:16 AM   #51
institute
macrumors regular

Yes, but you need a NAS to do this, otherwise Plex still demands your computer be on to run Plex Media Server. In your case the NAS is on all the time.
institute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:35 AM   #52
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by institute View Post
Yes, but you need a NAS to do this, otherwise Plex still demands your computer be on to run Plex Media Server. In your case the NAS is on all the time.
Yes, of course something has to be on running a Media server. I prefer that to be NAS, which is a small low-powered ARM system. I can run Plex on a NAS, but I need a computer to run an iTunes server.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:46 AM   #53
manutd27
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
Yes, of course something has to be on running a Media server. I prefer that to be NAS, which is a small low-powered ARM system. I can run Plex on a NAS, but I need a computer to run an iTunes server.
Does a NAS store all of my media files, as well as run Plex? I was thinking of purchasing an external HDD to store them all on, but obviously this means keeping my macbook on. If there is a way to do this on a NAS that seems much better!

May I ask if you can recommend one which will work? Thanks
manutd27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:36 PM   #54
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd27 View Post
Does a NAS store all of my media files, as well as run Plex? I was thinking of purchasing an external HDD to store them all on, but obviously this means keeping my macbook on. If there is a way to do this on a NAS that seems much better!

May I ask if you can recommend one which will work? Thanks
Yes, NAS stores all the media (obviously), and it runs PMS (Plex Media Server) and PlexConnect ("translation" script to present PMS to AppleTV Trailers app).

Go with Synology - it's an industry leader and most feature rich. I have DS112 model.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater