Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have a class project due in two weeks and can't decide whether to draw my objects in Flash, or use Illustrator. Which is the better of the two in the long run considering I'm going to have to animate it in Flash anyway? Do people usually stay within just Flash, or do they bring in Illustrator stuff aswell?

I'm limited to vector based art.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Been awhile since I did anything in Flash. But I always used Illustrator as well as Flash to create animations. I used Illustrator for the more complicated art and Flash for the simple things. I always found Illustrator to be easier to work with vectors especially when dealing with many layers.

And as all Adobes programs are so integrated to work together, it is easy to bring your work from Illustrator into Flash. On some occasions I even used Photoshop. I guess I always thought of Flash as being an animation tool, but do know that it can do so much more.

This is how I worked with them, but I know every person is different in their work styles. This was just the easiest way for me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Been awhile since I did anything in Flash. But I always used Illustrator as well as Flash to create animations. I used Illustrator for the more complicated art and Flash for the simple things. I always found Illustrator to be easier to work with vectors especially when dealing with many layers.

And as all Adobes programs are so integrated to work together, it is easy to bring your work from Illustrator into Flash. On some occasions I even used Photoshop. I guess I always thought of Flash as being an animation tool, but do know that it can do so much more.

This is how I worked with them, but I know every person is different in their work styles. This was just the easiest way for me.

Alright, thanks. Was just wondering, because I made the small bits which are just simple shapes that are required, and I should use the Flash built-in tools for that. But I didn't know about the rest. I think I'm going to use Illustrator just because I don't enjoy the way selections work in Flash. It's a nightmare since the fills and strokes and just everything in general can be screwed up with a bad selection. :eek:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Alright, thanks. Was just wondering, because I made the small bits which are just simple shapes that are required, and I should use the Flash built-in tools for that. But I didn't know about the rest. I think I'm going to use Illustrator just because I don't enjoy the way selections work in Flash. It's a nightmare since the fills and strokes and just everything in general can be screwed up with a bad selection. :eek:

Hence why I did my builds in Illustrator and PS. Much easier. Let Illustrator make it look good and Flash do the animation.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I have a class project due in two weeks and can't decide whether to draw my objects in Flash, or use Illustrator. Which is the better of the two in the long run considering I'm going to have to animate it in Flash anyway? Do people usually stay within just Flash, or do they bring in Illustrator stuff aswell?

I'm limited to vector based art.

I think I'd build my layout primarily in Illustrator in case I ever need to use in the future for "companion" projects such as packaging or literature. Graphics built in Flash don't always export well but most Illustrator graphics import into Flash w/o a hitch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.