Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 11, 2014, 06:06 PM   #51
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Final Cut Pro x lags way too much on my MBA.

Then again iMovie is pure **** compared to it.
MacBook Airs aren't really editing computers. That being said, FCPX worked decently on my 2011 11" MBA when I tried it out a while back, I only did it for fun though so I wasn't being too critical.

At the end of the day, FCPX was designed to blur the lines between professional (FCP7) and amateur (iMovie) applications, designed to cater to both people, if you don't believe it can be used in a professional environment then you're the one losing out; it's not your tools that define you but your skill. Caring too much about your tool is what's holding you back. Whatever gets the job done, use it, because otherwise you're gonna be spending more time faffing around trying to find the perfect application than actually getting up and doing something.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:50 PM   #52
diamond3
macrumors 6502a

With the latest update, does anyone miss not having the projects lists in the bottom of FCPX? I like how they restructured it from a file standpoint, just wish they would have left the projects below as like a shortcut. Like a smart collection for all projects. Reason being is I bounce back and forth between projects and and utilize the events obviously. So it's like i'm losing my place each time I switch.

I know everyone is praising the change, but does anyone else find this kind of annoying? I realize I'm being picky, just curious if I'm the only one.
diamond3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:45 AM   #53
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsome pete View Post
That seems strange coming from FCP7. The editing workflow is pretty much exactly the same and Adobe had lept far beyond FCP7s capabilities by that point.
I agree. At this point, CUDA acceleration and the familiarity of the PP CS6 has me staying put. However, I'll continue to mess around with FCX 10.1, when and if I permanently make the switch, it'll be an easy transition.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:53 AM   #54
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond3 View Post
With the latest update, does anyone miss not having the projects lists in the bottom of FCPX? I like how they restructured it from a file standpoint, just wish they would have left the projects below as like a shortcut. Like a smart collection for all projects. Reason being is I bounce back and forth between projects and and utilize the events obviously. So it's like i'm losing my place each time I switch.

I know everyone is praising the change, but does anyone else find this kind of annoying? I realize I'm being picky, just curious if I'm the only one.
it bothered me too so im glad I kept a copy of 10.0.9 on my system before I upgraded... so I have 10.1 and & 10.9 on dock on my mac book pro...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
The timeline on FCP X is a must for me. I can't produce videos any other way now... the flexibility to move stuff around in totally unconventional ways and with custom groups and compound clips works wonders for my projects. Premiere is cool but it's not for me, the FCP 7 ways of doing things are out for me and I've had incredible results using the software. Here's a new video

vimeo.com/zwhaler/livetraxs
who's the host ... she's super hot..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lJoSquaredl View Post
I'm in love with FCPX. Having said that, i've never used track based editing software for video work, and I hated tracks when I did audio work in the past. I just really enjoy how quickly and easily I can lay down projects with FCPX. I'm sure for very pro level work like big budget movies and the like, tracks may still be better. For smaller projects or ones that have a tight schedule, I think FCPX works very well. (specially internet projects, which there's alot of these days)
im gonna try to cut a music video on fcpx soon. Ive done gonna try another. I still have my fcp7 for bigger projects but man there's nothing as fast and simple to use as FCPx. I love it...
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:03 AM   #55
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoak View Post
So tiered of people dismissing FCPX as a toy. Do you have any idea of how powerful an editing software it has become ?
It still lacks in some areas, but with the short intervals of updates it has had, I'm pretty sure it will cover most bases in the not to distant future.
Heck, I even edit my 5K Red Epic R3D files natively and have access to a lot of the meta data from within FCPX.
you can import red files with transcoding issues... Im using a red scarlet this weekend...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:58 AM   #56
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoak View Post
So tiered of people dismissing FCPX as a toy. Do you have any idea of how powerful an editing software it has become ?
It still lacks in some areas, but with the short intervals of updates it has had, I'm pretty sure it will cover most bases in the not to distant future.
Heck, I even edit my 5K Red Epic R3D files natively and have access to a lot of the meta data from within FCPX.
you don't have to transcode r3d files anymore?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:17 AM   #57
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeusthewhizkid View Post
Transcode? You don't have to transcode much of anything theses days.

It does help to put your files in a native run-of-the-mill codec and file format, but it's not necessary.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:07 PM   #58
yoak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No you don't. At least not until export. You even have access to a lot of the meta data settings directly from within FCX. A lot of the same paprameters you use in redcine x. ISO, curves, exposure, etc
www.sombrafilm.com
yoak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:19 AM   #59
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
Transcode? You don't have to transcode much of anything theses days.

It does help to put your files in a native run-of-the-mill codec and file format, but it's not necessary.
so what your telling me is if I have a import my files from a red epic with ssd card reader. I don't have to worry about transcoding with fcpx...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:24 AM   #60
yoak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
so what your telling me is if I have a import my files from a red epic with ssd card reader. I don't have to worry about transcoding with fcpx...
Yup. You can start to edit straight away. Just use best performance in the settings. It does depend on your mac of course. Transcode has to be done in export or you can have background render on
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:24 AM   #61
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
I don't know about FCPX, but Adobe Premiere CS6 (with proper hardware) doesn't have to.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:18 AM   #62
yoak
macrumors 65816

Premiere and FCX can both load R3Ds natively now. In FCX you click on the info tab and you get access to the meta data adjustments. In Premirer you right click the clip and click "source settings" if memory serves me right to do the same
www.sombrafilm.com
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:28 AM   #63
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

.r3d files run definitely faster on fcpx than on premiere i think!
chfilm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 01:28 PM   #64
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfilm View Post
.r3d files run definitely faster on fcpx than on premiere i think!
If you think, then you don't know.

Let's not try to fill the thread with FUD and anecdotal evidence.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:07 PM   #65
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

Well, excuse me than, it does run faster!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:25 AM   #66
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Proof?
Digital Skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:28 AM   #67
Zemzil
macrumors member

Tips : PDF manuals, FCPX and Logic Pro Effects (that FCPX use).

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#professionalsoftware

Last edited by Zemzil; Feb 15, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
Zemzil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 02:56 PM   #68
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
According to Philip Hodgetts, who's very keen on FCPX, with the MP tube there was no perceivable difference when playing back the same sequence of multiple R3D streams in FCPX vs PPro CC.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:26 PM   #69
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
According to Philip Hodgetts, who's very keen on FCPX, with the MP tube there was no perceivable difference when playing back the same sequence of multiple R3D streams in FCPX vs PPro CC.
Ok can onky speak for a Late 2012 iMac with footage attached on a pegasus r6.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:45 PM   #70
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Ok can onky speak for a Late 2012 iMac with footage attached on a pegasus r6.
Curious, do you have FCPX set to Best Performance or Best Quality? If it's set to Best Performance you should set PPro CC to 1/4 playback resolution to get an apples to apples comparison.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 08:45 AM   #71
chfilm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
Curious, do you have FCPX set to Best Performance or Best Quality? If it's set to Best Performance you should set PPro CC to 1/4 playback resolution to get an apples to apples comparison.
I'll get my nMP on Tuesday, than I will report back

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video