Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Alright so this really is an odd question, but I need to know if I can extract the original .DMG from a USB leopard installer I made. I can't see any way to do it within disk utility and I don't want to risk accidentally formatting the usb disk as my leopard disk has since disappeared. If this can't be done it's not a big deal I am just would like to have a disc instead of a USB drive, which i understand that discs are going the way of the dodo but it would be nice to have that disk
Thanks,
Boneskid1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Kind of confused. If you had an installer that was a DMG at one point and then used that DMG to make a bootable USB stick (what you have now) then only the contents of the original DMG would have been installed on the USB stick.

If you want a DMG again, you'll need to copy back in to a DMG. Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper are great for this. Both apps will make a new DMG for you on the fly.

Last edited:

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
That is exactly what I need, I just didn't know the correct way to say it, I will give it at try and post back with results
Thanks,
Boneskid1

EDIT:

Will I be able to burn the copied .DMG to a disk though?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That is exactly what I need, I just didn't know the correct way to say it, I will give it at try and post back with results
Thanks,
Boneskid1

EDIT:

Will I be able to burn the copied .DMG to a disk though?
You can burn the DMG all by itself to a disk, although if it's more than 4.7GB in size it probably won't fit on anything but a dual layer DVD. If you want it to be like you have it on the USB stick you'll have to burn a dual layer disk as mentioned by MisterKeeks.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Carbon Copy Cloner worked really well the .dmg is sitting on my desktop right now and i am looking at the shrink option to get the .dmg to fit on a single layer dvd. it involves deleting the printer drivers, un-needed languages, and the x-code folder.

otherwise i will be at the target or micro center to get a few dl discs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.