Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

How to Create an Interactive Thumbdrive?

A bigwig is showing up in a week and my boss is asking me whether I can create an interactive thumbdrive as a takeaway.

It would include slideshows, a few videos and key links to sections of the company website.

The end user is most likely Windows and not Mac.

Has anybody done this?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2
fig
macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately newer versions of Windows have disabled most Autoplay functionality due to virus concerns. If you created an exe file to drive the content this would work but I don't know of a better automatic sort of option.

Something created in Flash could drive slides and video pretty easily, could be labeled and given a slick icon with a readme file in case someone doesn't figure out they're supposed to click it.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:40 PM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
Something created in Flash could drive slides and video pretty easily, could be labeled and given a slick icon with a readme file in case someone doesn't figure out they're supposed to click it.
I was wondering if Flash might be the best way to go. I have no idea what system the Big Wig uses, so making this as usable as possible would be preferable.

Doesn't self-played Flash create .exe files for PCs? Wouldn't that encounter the same problem of virus concerns and playability?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
fig
macrumors 6502a

It does create .exe files (or can at least, .swf is the standard web format) and you're correct in that you can't autoplay that (at least I have yet to find a way to). You'd just have the drive come up showing a cool snazzy icon that would run the .exe when clicked.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics